Home  Subscribe  Advertising  Community  About Us Archives

740-472-0734 P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793   monroecountybeacon@sbcglobal.net

Below are links to portions of this week's news articles. For the full story, pick up a paper at your local newsstand or send $2 ($2.50 if the issue is over 3 months old) with date of paper requested, your name and address to P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793 and we will send you a paper.

April 14, 2011

~ Recognition of Long Term Membership ~

Monroe Post 87 of the American Legion recently presented plaques to two of its members in recognition of their long term membership. Howard Landefeld and Delven Devore have been members of the local post for 66 and 65 years respectively. From left are Ed Frank, Adjutant of Post 87, Howard Landefeld, Delven Devore and Post 87 Commander David Wehr.          Photo Submitted


Corrections:The Race for Health 5K Run/Walk will be held May 14. The Civil War event will be held June 11 and 12. 


Around the Burnside    

Some troubles come from wanting our own way, others come from being allowed to have it.

When your reputation breaks down, there is no place to go for spare parts.

Do you know something? The grass in the lawn is growing. This means getting the old mower out and start pushing it around, if it starts.

A neighbor has mowed a couple of lawns already. One of them twice. I kind of wonder if he’s trying to make me feel bad or something. If it is, it’s not working. Today, the seventh is the only day so far I have gotten the idea I should start my riding mower. This thought didn’t last long as I heard we might be in for an inch of rain tomorrow. The rain will just start the grass to growing again so what’s the use? I’ll have all summer to mow.

I didn’t get everything written regarding the tournament so I’ll bore you with more. You can skip this part if you like.

Prices, one thing for sure, is folks in the big city know how to charge for something. Our motel and I expect all the others raise their price when something big is going on in town and  they know they’ll have a crowed.

We have been staying in the same motel for probably over 30 years. We normally stay Wed., Thurs., and Fri. On Wednesday night the charge is their normal price. On Thursday and Friday night they tack on another 50 bucks a night. They know all the rooms will be filled on those nights. I’[m not sure about Saturday as we never stay over. To top this off they no longer serve or provide breakfast.

This does not include food to keep you going during the tournament. At the Schott you can get a hot dog and a large Coke for just under ten bucks. Needless to say we didn’t eat many hot dogs or any other food they offered for sale.

To beat the system if you have decent weather you have time between games to fire up the old grill and have a cook out or two. This didn’t look too promising this year so we left our grill at home.

We loaded up on the couple kinds of lunch meat, some baloney, Doritos, potato chips, cakes and cookies, buns, fruit, ice chest, a large bag of ice, water, Mountain Dew and we were set for the tournament. This year was cold so we had to sit in the car and prepare our food. It’s called an inside do it yourself picnic.

In that we didn’t get breakfast at our motel, we went through the drive through at McDonald’s, which was on our way. I only bought orange juice as my normal breakfast is a slice of toast and peanut butter plus orange juice. I remembered I had purchased some honey buns and one of them would satisfy me. One problem. The honey buns were left in the car over night and as a result they were very cold by breakfast time. My son came up with a brilliant idea. We normally allowed a period when we run the heater to keep us warm. He suggested we put the honey buns on the dash of the car and have the heater blow heat on the windshield. Know something? It worked. The honey buns didn’t get hot but they did warm up and we didn’t have to eat an old cold honey bun for breakfast. We did load up on a large pizza after we got back to the motel on Friday night.

I suppose if you got some paper and sat down and figured out what you paid for the inside picnic the total cost might be close to what you would have paid to eat at the Schott. Wouldn't be nearly as much fun though.

A reader left me a little thing about our year 2011. When you think about it there are four unusual dates this year: 1-1-11, 1-11-11, 11-1-11 and 11-11-11. You might say this is the year of the one.

Another thing someone who likes math figured out is rather interesting. Take the last two digits of the year you were born add to this your age in 2011 even if your birthday has not arrived as yet. The answer will be 111 regardless of when you were born or how old you are. Kind of spookie ain’t it?

You know medicine has come a long way. Our son had a hernia operation after we came back from the tournament. I think it was caused from swinging a golf club too hard and too often.

He had to be at the hospital by 6:15 a.m. and they took him right in. He said it would not be very long. It wasn’t. It didn’t seem we had to wait very long until we had talked to the doctor and could go back to where he stayed. After a while they discharged him and we were back in his home in Caldwell by 11 a.m. Almost unbelievable to be over that quickly. Everything worked out OK and he’s back trying to swinging a golf club kind of easy like.

Wouldn’t it be fun if we could get old a little later and wise a little sooner.

Easter is more than just hunting eggs.

Our Readers Write

Dear Editor,

Well, what did you think of the “Easter Egg Hunt” at the Know Show Sunday April 3?

Our granddaughter is 4 1/2  years old and she was having fun, as she had a bunny bucket which she filled at least 3/4 full. 

She was so happy that she got that many eggs, but the real disappointment came when she had to give up the eggs that she found. Yes, she had to give up the eggs she found for a bag of miscellaneous merchandise, but she really wanted the eggs.

The question is: Isn’t an “Easter Egg Hunt’ suppose to be for collecting eggs, and to keep what you find? I’m sure there was a lot of other little kids disappointed also. Our granddaughter sure was.

Bob Piatt and Pat Heath


Members of Duffy VFW Post 9930 and its
auxiliary were on hand March 31 to welcome
Army National Guard Reservist SPC Justin R. Kurtzman home from a one-year tour of duty in Afghanistan. Justin is shown with his mother
Dawn and Post members.            
Photo Submitted

Local Soldier Comes Home

By Martha Ackerman
Homecomings are joyful times. The pure excitement is exhilarating. It’s the going away that is stressful and sometimes heartbreaking especially when it’s a soldier deployed into a hostile environment. Those soldiers leave family and friends for what seems like an eternity to those waiting at home. These men and women do it because that is their job. They are the reason this country is the land of the free.

Justin Kurtzman of Sardis is one of those soldiers. As an Army Reservist, he was deployed in Afghanistan a year ago. On March 31st his plane landed at Wood County Airport in Parkersburg, W. Va. It was a joyful reunion for Kurtzman and 29 other members of his Army National Guard unit.

“On March 31, 2011, a year to the day of deployment, a local hero came home to Sardis,” said Dawn Kurtzman, Justin’s mother. “My son, Army National Guard SPC Justin R. Kurtzman, was welcomed home to a few surprises.”  

Dawn had T-shirts made with ‘Welcome Home Army National Guard Justin Kurtzman’ in red letters with blue stars and on the back ‘Our Hometown Hero’ in blue letters with red stars. On the back of Dawn’s shirt it said ‘Mom,’ on Jonnie’s shirt, ‘Brother’ and on his grandmother’s shirt ‘Mammal.’ Justin had quite a group there to welcome him home. 

"The excitement really didn't hit me until I saw my family out there," said Spc. Jason Kurtzman of Sardis, a 1984 graduate of River High School.

Linda Schmidt, fifth grade teacher at Sardis Elementary and friend of Dawn Kurtzman, thought it might be a good opportunity to welcome a hometown boy home and bring a little patriotism to her classroom and community. Schmidt spoke with other teachers, the idea mushroomed and other classes began making signs. The original plan was for the students to stand along the highway as Justin came home but with the later flight and the ceremony after the arrival it made that part of the plan undoable because school would have been dismissed by the time the soldier arrived in Sardis.

Justin’s mother had contacted a local TV station which sent a crew to the airport. Justin’s homecoming made the news. As Justin and his family drove home, Justin was overwhelmed with the many signs posted along the route and at his home. Students from Sardis , as well as Hannibal Elementary, made many welcoming signs to brighten the homecoming of this young soldier. With flags waiving and salutes, members of  Duffy VFW Post 9930 and its women’s auxiliary greeted him at the Kurtzman home.

“When I joined the Army National Guard, I didn’t need to, I wanted to,” said Justin. “At the time I had just stopped going to college because, atthat point, I still had no clue what I wanted to do. Having graduated from River High School in 2004, and then attending college, there wasn’t even a gray area of what I thought I wanted as a career choice. So I started to think of my grandfather Richard Vargo. My grandfather had made a significant impact on my life and my personality so I asked myself, ‘Why not just follow in his footsteps and do something for this great country we call the USA?’ When I joined, it was everything I expected. I already thought of myself as disciplined and honorable but now I would have something to really show for it.

“In November 2009 I was told that my unit was about to mobilize for a deployment to Afghanistan. The catch was that they were only taking 30 soldiers from my unit. You can bet that I was one of the first to raise my hand saying, ‘Pick me! Pick me!’ The 30 of us went through some training at Fort Hood, Texas. The training was fine but I was more anxious just to get there.

“Life on deployment can be stressful. It’s all a matter of how you take it. For me being optimistic at just about everything really helped for the long haul. As I like to say, ‘head down, chin up.’ Day in and day out not seeing family or loved ones, not being able to enjoy the ‘finer’ things in life, is to be expected. There were times that I could say I missed home but it was easier not to think about it so much and concentrate on my job.

"We all got along pretty good, I think a lot more than other companies because we are laid back, but we know how to do our jobs and we get it done as best as we can," said the Army specialist.

“As a Signal Support Systems Specialist or ‘commo guy’ if you will, I was able to help my MEDEVAC company rescue over 800 patients in our area of operations in Afghanistan. Though not in a combat arms military occupational specialty or MOS, we saved the lives of many of our fine soldiers and gave them the chance to yet again see their loved ones and continue to enjoy their lives. It didn’t always go that way, though.

“Personally, I didn’t see what happened when things didn’t go as planned or when an American life had been taken. But you could feel it. It can be read on every face of everyone around you. When attending a Hero Ceremony (when an American life has been taken), the feeling can’t be described when seeing off the soldiers in the proper send off. All I felt was anger.

“Through the year, it is easier not to count the days. When our time was up and our replacements had arrived, the feeling was surreal. Just the idea of going home didn’t seem real. The long journey in between leaving Afghanistan and home didn’t seem real. The moment that it hit me, when I knew I was home, was when I saw my mother, my brother, Grandma and Pap Dick and the best friends anybody could have waiting for me as we stepped off the airplane. On the drive home all I saw were signs of appreciation from local grade schools thanking me. It is for them, our children, our future generation and leaders that I say is the reasoning behind why we do what we do.

“Through it all, deployments can be difficult and stressful, not just for the soldiers themselves, but for everybody here that loves them. It is not the best of times in one’s life, but it is seen as necessary in the soldiers’ eyes. I would do it again in a heartbeat without thinking about it, for you, for my friends and family and for any American. After all, this is THE greatest country in the world.”

And from a mother’s prospective … “I get asked all the time how do you deal with this being a mom with your son in Afghanistan,” said Dawn. “My only answer is that I, as a mom, have to be strong, believe in my son knowing he loves what he does. It makes it easier for me knowing he does not regret his decision to join the Guard. Plus, I don’t want him to worry about me while he is overseas.

“A few months after Justin left, I got a call at home on a Saturday from the Family Readiness Program from Williamstown asking me if I had seen the news that morning. I was told that Justin’s unit was attacked, nobody was hurt but several insurgents had gotten hold of Army uniforms; some had suicide vests on and were attempting to get in the unit’s compound. Once they figured out they were not American soldiers, the unit took the appropriate action. Just hearing the lady on the phone, I had to call back after I calmed down. They had said that had the insurgents’ plan gone through this could have been a major catastrophe. I kept telling myself before this that he isn’t in a dangerous place, not in the line of fire. Well, that thought process didn’t last. I pulled myself together and told myself it’s dangerous everywhere over there and prayed a lot to God and asked family and friends to help me get through this. It was hard but you have to take it day-by-day. That only means his return gets closer as each day goes by. You can’t dwell on the bad. Take from it and turn it to the good.”

The Kurtzman family appreciates all the preparation that went into Justin’s homecoming. The signs made by the Sardis and Hannibal Elementary students, the well wishes were all deeply appreciated.

“Dian Christman, whose son and daughter attend Woodsfield Elementary, organized the making of three big red banners welcoming Justin home. “I asked her why she did that,” said Dawn, “and her answer was as a mother-to-mother, these kids need to know just what goes on in the world today, and let them know there is a war and our soldiers are fighting for our freedom. And they need to learn about pride, patriotism and what our soldiers do for them on a daily basis.”

Dee Vargo, Dawn’s sister-in-law and Justin’s aunt, got the Hannibal Elementary students involved in the homecoming. “After all is said and done, I was really happy to have close family and friends to help celebrate,” said Dawn. “This grew into something amazing and bigger than I could have ever imagined and we’re very happy with the end result.”

“The main reason I went through all of this was to have people experience the joy of a loved one coming home,” said Dawn. “I get blank stares at times and people wonder why all the fuss. If you don’t have a loved one in the military, some people just don’t understand, so I felt the need to share my experience with everyone and hope they now understand why I did what I did. We have been in this war for 10 years and I think a lot of Americans have forgotten the patriotism and the pride of being in America and what our soldiers are doing for this country. You may not agree with us being over there but we, as Americans, MUST support the men and women in our armed forces.

“Justin and I went to Woodsfield Elementary April 6 to pick up my niece and nephew, Alexis and Christian Vargo. Christian asked if Justin would wear his uniform and he did. I think at first Justin did not give much thought to why he would ask him to do this but while standing in the hall, with kids passing by and stopping to shake his hand, saying thank you and one boy even saluted Justin, he began to understand. I was amazed at the excitement that shone on the kids’ faces. I know they knew it was Justin and understood what he was to them; a soldier was in their school. 

Justin looked at me and said, ‘Mom, I get it now.’ These kids have not experienced the patriotism and the pride in the USA . Mrs. Wiggins’ class sang ‘You’re a Grand Old Flag’ and later another group of kids sang the ‘Star Spangled Banner’ while standing with their hands over their hearts. This was amazing and I wish everyone could have seen it.

“As a mom, I am blessed to have two wonderful sons of whom I am very proud. I could not ask for anything more but to have both my sons in my life and to have Justin and Jonnie close as brothers can and should be. As they say, ‘brotherly love.’ Thanks to all who helped celebrate and who were there for me and my family. I love you all,” concluded Dawn.


Rodney Brown of Clarington is shown at the monitoring station of Ormet’s Rectifier Control Room. The rectifier station is responsible for converting AC power to DC power  for use in the potlines. It is manned 24/7. “It’s the heart and the brain of the plant,” said Mike Griffin, vice-president in charge of operations.
Photos by Martha Ackerman 

The yellow piece of machinery at the top right of this photo shows the new bridge jack machine. “We use it to raise the electrical buss to a higher level to account for carbon consumption in the pot,” said Griffin. “This new design provides a much safer method of completing the task as compared to the previous manual method.”        

The Beacon Tours Ormet
“It’s different than it was for a lot of years” (Part 1)

Find Part 2 in next week’s Beacon       

by Martha Ackerman

“It’s different than it was for a lot of years. Everybody is working together very well here. We’ve got a great group of people,” said Mike Griffin, vice-president of operations at Ormet’s Hannibal facility.   “We did the restart of two potlines, one right around Christmas time, the other the end of January and early into February. It was a very fast restart, very safe. The potlines are running very good even this short of a time out of the restart. We’re very happy with how everything went.”

Ormet brought in approximately 150 people with new positions filled with about 60 employees who were on lay off status, the remainder were new hires. “It’s a good group that came in and they’re working out very well,” continued Griffin. The Hannibal facility currently has a workforce around 1,025. “It’s a large group.”

Why we are doing so well here? “It’s the electricity contract and the people we have working here. It’s 100 percent it. In my mind those are the primary things,” said Griffin.

The Ormet facility produces pure primary aluminum. The aluminum produced there goes into industries such as transportation which you see in truck bodies, vehicle parts, aluminum wheels and trailers. According to Griffin, there is a big switch to aluminum in transportation because of the light weight of aluminum, which allows the trailers to carry more cargo; packaging and building and construction are sectors for aluminum usage. Other manufacturers melt the aluminum to produce aluminum frames for doors and windows, as well as architectural products for buildings. Another major use of Ormet aluminum is in packaging such as aluminum cans, foil type applications and anything else along those lines. 

One of the interesting things about aluminum is it is actually a very a green product, noted the vice-president.  Recycling aluminum only takes five percent of the energy in the original manufacture of aluminum. The Aluminum Association reported that 70 percent of all aluminum ever made is in use right now somewhere in the world. Aluminum doesn’t corrode or rust away like steel. Through its life cycle, aluminum is a very green product, added Griffin. The smelting facility like Ormet, with only about ten left running in the U.S., is not as green as some manufacturing plants because this type of smelting facility uses a lot of electricity, lots of raw materials and carbon. “But look at the whole value stream of the process, and you can see the benefits” said Griffin. “For example, aluminum is used in automobiles to lighten the cars so they get better gas mileage and lower emissions.

“We think this is going to be expanding over time,” said Griffin. “The market looks very strong years out. The10 year forecast is very good for aluminum with the market driven by demand in Brazil, China, Russia and India with their growing markets.” Griffin explained, in the U.S. 40 pounds of aluminum is used by the average American in a year. As the standard of living goes up in developing countries such as Russia, India, China and Brazil, the need for more aluminum is expected to rise. They want cars, washing machines and all the things we have. They have aluminum plants but as the standard of living goes up, more residential electricity  is needed. These countries have aluminum plants but countries like China have grown so fast but they only have so much electricity available. They want it in their houses before they want it in manufacturing. Electricity is the key to making aluminum. These developing countries simply don’t have energy at reasonable costs. They have a lot of coal, natural gas and other resources to make electricity. Aluminum is an easy way to export their electricity. Developing countries put their excess energy into producing aluminum. They can’t export electricity but it allows these countries to build power plants and sell the electricity which they export in the form of aluminum. As their standard of living grows, it brings an increased demand for electricity internally, which makes energy for making aluminum more costly.



■  4-14 Classifieds


Anita Lynn Stephens, 49, Woodsfield, died April 3, 2011 at Barnesville Hospital. She was born Feb. 28, 1962 in Cambridge, a daughter of Nina McCune Leasure of Lewisville and Bobbi Leasure of Woodsfield.

In addition to her parents, surviving are her husband, Randy Joe Stephens of Woodsfield; two daughters, Jennifer (Tony Cable) Stephens of Caldwell, Jodie (Erin Delong) Stephens of Woodsfield; a grandson, Charles (C.J.) Delong; three sisters, Bobbi Smith of Summerfield, Shelly (Rick) Stephens of Woodsfield, Chrissy (Shaun) Thompson of Caldwell; three brothers, Fred (Carol) Leasure of Carlisle, Jeff Leasure of Lewisville, Charles McCune of South Olive; and several nieces and nephews.

Friends were received April 5 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral services were held April 6, at 1 p.m., with Don Thompson officiating. Burial will be at the convenience of the family.

Condolences may be expressed at:www.bauerturner.com

Joan Thomas, 76, Marietta, died April 4, 2011 at her residence. She was born Aug. 19, 1934 in Stafford, a daughter of of the Hubert and Maude Leasure Brown. 

She was a graduate of Woodsfield High School. She had attended Souls Harbor Baptist Church. She enjoyed crocheting, scrapbooking and researching family trees.

Surviving are four daughters, Charlene (Herby) Dalrymple of Lewisville, Connie (Chuck) Schultheisz of Marietta, Terrie “Sis” (Robbie) Coombs of Cutler, Sherrie (Terry) Foster of Marietta; a son, Ed “Bub” (Regina) Moore of Beverly; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter; her special friend, Kay Thomas of Newport; two brothers, Buster (Mary) Brown, Don (Susie) Brown, all of Marietta and her dog, Buttons.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by two brothers, Denny and Rick Brown; a grandson, Jason Schultheisz.

Friends were received April 6 at Marietta Chapel of Cawley & Peoples Funeral Home, where funeral services were held April 7, with Robert Hughes officiating. Burial was in Valley Cemetery.

Condolences may be offered at:www.cawleyandpeoples.com 

Dottie L. Reip, 72, Mansfield, died April 9, 2011 at MedCentral Mansfield. She was born Sept. 24, 1938 in Glouster, a daughter of the late Ralph L. and Juanita McNutt Jacobs. 

She was a graduate of Woodsfield High School in 1956 and attended Mansfield Business College and graduated with honors. She worked as an STNA at Kingston of Ashland where she retired from after 10 years. She enjoyed reading westerns and would crochet as a hobby. She also loved to be around flowers, although she never had any luck growing them. She loved spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren.

Surviving are a daughter, Juanita Kline of Fairborn; two sons, Ted and Brian Reip of Mansfield; three grandchildren, David Reip, Clarrisa Reip, Durinda Reip; two sisters, Mary (Walt) Matz, Ann (Gary) Finley, both of Ashland; a brother, Timothy Jacobs of Kentucky; and numerous nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her first husband, Ollie Tackett; second husband, Byrne W. Reip on Feb.4, 1980, whom she married Dec. 22, 1962; and a brother, David Jacobs.

There were no calling hours. or services. Burial will be held in Frametown, W.Va., at a later date.

Wappner Funeral Directors in charge of arrangements.

Online guest registry at: www.wappner.com 

Edna Elizabeth Highman, 91, Woodsfield, died April 6, 2011 at the Woodsfield Nursing & Rehabilitation Center. She was born April 27, 1919 in Woodsfield, a daughter of the late Franklin Soloman and Maggie Jane Kirkbride Hoover.

Surviving are two daughters, Norma (Ron) Schnegg of Clarington, Susan (Melvin) Truax of St. Marys, W.Va.; six grandchildren, Doug (Darla) Schnegg of Hannibal, Sherrie (Michael) McGinnis of Beallsville, Brian (Jennifer) Schnegg of Clarington, Lisa (Og) Matz of Woodsfield, Kristy (Steve) Beisel of Clarington, Travis Truax of St. Marys; nine great-grandchildren, Stephen McGinnis, Zachary and Meagan Schnegg, Autumn, Taylor and Gabrielle Beisel, Jessica Schnegg and McKenna and Gavin Matz.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Glenn L. Highman in 1978; grandsons, Bruce Schnegg, John Truax, Todd Truax; brothers, Clyde, Harry and Steward Hoover; and three sisters, Stella Tidd, Gail Saffle and Hazel Egger.

Friends were received April 10 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, with Keith Jones officiating. Burial was in Oaklawn Cemetery, Woods-field.

Condolences may be expressed at: www.bauerturner.com

Bonnie Jean Day Shoop, 84, Granite Falls, N.C., formerly of Noble County, died April 8, 2011 at the Palliative Care Center and Hospice, Newton, N.C. She was born March 10, 1927 at Stafford, a daughter of the late Harry and Victoria Clift Day.

She was a homemaker; a former nutritionist at the Ohio State University, Columbus; a former cook at the Sandwich Shoppe, Caldwell and a companion to several when she lived in Florida. She was also a member of the Macksburg United Methodist Church, where she served as a trustee for many years.

Surviving are a daughter, Kathy (Greg) Good of Granite Falls and a nephew, Curtis (Pam) Howell.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Robert J. Shoop; a sister, Delores Kathleen Howell and a granddaughter, Emily Jean Good.

Memorial services will be held April 13, at 7 p.m. at Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfield, with Rev. Richard Wilson officiating. Inurnment will be held at the Stafford Cemetery at the convenience of the family. 

Gussie O. McElfresh, 98, 1262 Ironwood Dr., Columbus, died April 7, 2001 at Riverside Hospital. She was born May 10, 1912 near Sycamore Valley, a daughter of the late Thomas R. and Icalena Cree Hines.

She was a member of the Church of Christ. During her lifetime she worshiped with the congregations at Hines Chapel, Fishinger & Kenny Rds. & Central in Haines City, Fla. She was a graduate of Stafford High School and Marietta Business College. She and her husband, the late Floyd McElfresh, spent their 65 years of married life on the farm where she was born. For the past 12+ years she has lived with her daughter and son-in-law, Lorna and Denver. Her hobbies were family, gardening, picking berries, quilting and the love of farm animals. She was a great cook and could make the best berry pies.

Surviving are a daughter, Lorna (Denver) Ward; seven grandchildren, Peggy (Greg) Tidwell, Penny (Mark) Dougan, Patty (Ron) Spangler, Keith (Karen) Ward, Teresa (Roger) Stark, Karen (Larry) Irwinsky, Marcia Beemer; 14 great-grandchildren; four step-great-grandchildren; seven step-great-great-grandchildren; and many friends including Jim and Jinny Campbell.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Floyd; daughter, Glenda Fay Hendershot; an infant son, Allen; sister, Velma Hines and brother, Brada Hines.

Friends were received April 11 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, with Minister Greg Tidwell officiating. Burial followed in Hines Chapel Cemetery near Sycamore Valley.

Condolences may be expressed at: www.bauerturner.com 

Karl J. Reischman, 71, Quaker City, passed away April 2, 2011. He was born Sept. 3, 1939 in Miltonsburg, a son of the late Francis Reisch-man and Hazel Brummell Reischman.

He was a fuel truck driver with Green Valley Co-op retiring after 33 years of service; he attended the Somerton United Methodist Church; a faithful member of the Quaker City Coffee Club and served his country in the US Army.

Surviving are his wife, Linda Grandi Reischman; daughters, Sherri Reischman of Barnesville, Shaun (Cary) Leach of Jerusalem; step-sons, Charles E. (Chip) (Lori) Jones II of Kapolei, Hawaii, Kevin (Linda) Jones of Cambridge; 14 grandchildren; an uncle, Vernon (Eddy) Reischman of Woodsfield; his extended family includes John and Diane Blattler of Somerton.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister, Agnes Burkhart.

Friends were received April 3 at Kelly-Kemp-Braido Funeral Home, Barnesville, where services were held April 4, with Minister Rusty Atkinson officiating. Burial was in Friends Cemetery, Quaker City.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Quaker City Volunteer Fire Department or the Somerton Park. 

John W. Lumbatis,  68, Lewisville, passed away April 12, 2011 at Wheeling Hospital

Arrangements are incomplete at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield.