Home  Subscribe  Advertising  Community  About Us Archives

740-472-0734 P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793   monroecountybeacon@sbcglobal.net

Below are links to portions of this week's news articles. For the full story, pick up a paper at your local newsstand or send $2 ($2.50 if the issue is over 3 months old) with date of paper requested, your name and address to P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793 and we will send you a paper.

December 30, 2010

~ Grump’s Bunch Has Christmas Drawing ~

It was a lucky day for three winners of the Grump’s Bunch Christmas drawing when they received their prizes. First prize winner Donna Groves took home a wagon filled with toys and games which included a Barbie Glamour Jet, footballs, games, balls, stuffed animals and more. The wagon was donated by Maggie Bilyk of Akron, who suggested it be used as a Christmas fundraiser. Many of the items in the wagon were donated by Grump’s Bunch Relay For Life team members. Donna has a couple special children in her life who will have a very Merry Christmas!

Betty Schaub was the winner of the Ohio State cornhole game, which was donated by Walter and Rick Russell. Christine Spicer was the winner of the Christmas afghan, crocheted and donated by Kate Mahoney.

Grump’s Bunch members are busy with various fundraisers throughout the year. They are wrapping up their a cookie and fudge plate fundraiser, and they have had two Schwan’s truck sales. 

This spring fundraisers will include a poker run and a raffle with complete cornhole game as prizes.

“We work year round,” said Linda McConnell, Grump’s Bunch team member, “because cancer is not a seasonal disease.” 

Shown, from left, are: winner Donna Groves,  Grump’s Bunch members Linda Mc-Connell, Walter Russell with granddaughter Ryleigh Win-land, Betty Schaub and winners Sue Coffey and Christine Spicer.         Ackerman Photo


Around the Burnside     

Money will buy a fine dog, but love will make its tail wag.

The pain of poverty is not having little; but wishing for more.

Christmas is over, Santa has gone back to the North Pole and there’s nothing to look forward to except New Year’s, football bowl games and I honestly hope no hangovers in 2011.

As you look toward 2011 you can’t help but wonder. How soon are our leaders in Washington going to realize that if you owe money and have little money to spend you need to cut down on your spending. I hope they take care of their own money better than they do for our government.

The deer harvest was down this year when compared to a year ago. I guess maybe the weather might have had something to do with it. On the other hand, maybe there is less interest in hunting. Older hunters stay at home and younger hunters are not interested. Who knows? I do know there are plenty of deer out there wanting to commit suicide on the highways.

Have you ever wondered why some of the things we did years ago are bad for us now? How did we ever manage? We have so many things to choose from on TV, radio and newspapers trying to tell us what we need and what is better than anything else.

For example, our morning cereal. You goo to the store and find shelves nearly the length of the store are loaded with different kinds of cereal. I would not attempt to count them but I’m guessing well over 100 maybe pushing 200. How do you know which one to pick? This cereal builds bones, this one blood cells that our good for your blood flow and on and on.

Me? I eat a slice of toast and peanutbutter washing it down with orange juice every morning and let it go at that. Gone are the days of two eggs, fried potatoes, a pancake once in a while plus bacon or ham. All of this plus a big glass of milk. In fact, at times what most consider breakfast shows up at a different time of day.

As I recall, we had Wheaties, Post Toasties, Puffed Wheat, rolled oats, cream of wheat and that was about it. I do remember eating a gob of rolled oats when growing up. Mom said they would “stick to your ribs.” When i step on the scales I think more than rolled oats stick to your ribs.

Milk, nature’s most perfect food. I used to drink quite a bit of milk. That is until I got hooked on Mountain Dew. I still have to have a can of Dew most everyday even if my doctor kind of suggests I might not do that. After all I did quit coffee on his advice and a can of Dew never hurt anyone, I think.

At one time I used to drink quite a bit of milk. Warm milk when a kid. Maybe this helped because the experts say you should drink something warm after a meal rather than something cold. I don’t know if this holds true while eating your meal or not.

I delivered milk on my bicycle much of the time although during the cold weather I had to walk. this wasn’t too bad as the old cows cut down on the milk they shared during the winter months and customers were limited.

During the winter you had to put the milk inside the house. No one locked their doors back then. If you didn’t put the milk inside the milk would soon freeze and push its way out of the bottle and make a mess when thawed. It was kind of funny to see milk sticking up outside the bottle.

I once again started drinking milk. I’ll tell you a glass of cold milk and some cookies while watching TV is hard to beat. I expect maybe I should follow advice and drink it warm. I might try it some time but cold milk really hits the spot. I might go to sleep if the milk was warm and miss NCIS.

As we look back over the last year, it has been good to us. We are healthy and able to take part in many activities. 

As every year there are ups and downs. things we could change and things we do not want to change.

I have been able to write Around the Burnside every week, missing only one or two deadlines. I do appreciate those of you who read my effort every week and are kind enough not to tell me when you disagree.

I know many of you like to be reminded of how things were years ago and it’s sometimes tough.

One thing good about Monroe County is the friends you have are willing to help you when needed and you know they are friends.

About all I can say now is Happy New Year.

You can’t get much done by starting tomorrow.

The churches all have room for one more.



Dany Receives Love and Support  

by Taylor Abbott
Staff Writer

Few can say they have endured what sixth grade student Maryela “Dany” Ollom has at such a young age. Through it all, she has had the love and support of many in the county, especially from her parents and grandparents. 

In June of 2009, Dany traveled with her parents Steve and Kim Ollom and her grandparents Dave and Mary Cooper to Amish Country to celebrate their anniversary. 

While they slept, Mary was awakened by Dave who thought  he heard Dany crying. When they asked her why she was crying, she said her leg was hurting badly. The next morning, she was taken to the hospital where a doctor told them she had “strained a muscle.”

Days went by and Dany’s condition had not improved. Mary said a return to the hospital yielded nothing but a doctor who was angry that his diagnosis was in question. According to Mary, the doctor referred Dany to a specialist but insisted his diagnosis was correct and there would be nothing a specialist could do for her. 

Shortly after the visit, Mary noticed a large lump near Dany’s spine. By now, she was unable to walk 15 feet without assistance and was dragging her left leg. A trip to Dr. Charles McElaney’s chiropractic office in New Martinsville proved lifesaving. According to Mary, McElaney took one look at the lump on Dany’s spine and told the family to get her to Marietta Memorial immediately. 

Once at Marietta Memorial, the family anxiously waited for doctors to report on Dany’s condition. Before long, Mary said they could hear Dany screaming in pain. A nurse told the family she was unable to lay on her back long enough to get the X-rays because of the intense pain.

Doctors, realizing there was something terribly wrong, quickly sent the young girl on to Columbus Children’s Hospital. There, the family waited up most of the night  until tests were started on Dany at 5:30 a.m. Seventeen doctors were present with her.

Tests revealed a shocking discovery that Mary says nearly did her in. Doctors told the family that the large lump on Dany’s back was in fact a tumor, which had wrapped around her spine. The fast growing cancer known as Ewing’s Sarcoma was rapidly constricting Dany’s spine, explaining the intense pain she was experiencing in her legs and causing her to lose the ability to walk.

After debating treatment options with Dany’s doctor, Anthony Audino, it was decided that radiation would be used first, rather than chemotherapy. According to Mary, the radiation would shrink the tumor until it was “dead” eliminating the need to surgically remove it. Chemotherapy was first used on Dany for 48 hours straight, causing her to become very sick, as expected. Within two to three days, the tumor had begun to shrink noticeably. 

While in the hospital, Dany received hundreds of cards, flowers, toys, and teddy bears from family, friends, and well-wishers. 

“We couldn’t believe how much the school, her friends, and everyone sent her. Our van was filled twice with all of Dany’s gifts and even Kim and Steve’s Blazer was filled too,” said Mary, “We just can’t thank everyone for their prayers and support.”

Today, Dany takes chemo-therapy treatments at home once a night. Every Friday, Dany travels back to Child-ren’s Hospital for what Dany calls a “push,” or check-up.

After more than 6 weeks, Dany started walking again, slowly building strength up in her legs, which had been rendered nearly useless by the tumor. Currently, she walks with little assistance, other than a brace on one leg until it is stronger. Dany has recovered so much that when she and her grandparents are out together, Mary must remind her to slow down because she and Dave cannot keep up with her.

Now back to school, Dany is working harder than ever. She does homework every night for two hours, catching up on work she missed in fifth grade while undergoing treatment, all the while learning new things in sixth grade.

“At school, her friends are a big help. They carry her books, and help her up the stairs when she needs it,”  said Mary. “She’ll sometimes get upset when her friends help her because she wants to be independent but we remind her that they want to help her and she understands that and appreciates all they do for her.” 

Recently, Dany lost her great-grandmother Zola Sidenstricker, Mary’s mother. Through it all, Dany’s been strong, noted Mary. Sad news gave way to good news when Dany found out her wish to meet Lady Gaga is going to be granted through the Make-A-Wish program. 

According to Mary, Dany met with Make-A-Wish organizers and asked if she and Dr. Audino could meet Lady Gaga. According to Mary, the wish will be granted as soon as Lady Gaga completes her busy touring schedule. Dany hopes to make a video with Lady Gaga. 

“She’s just the happiest girl in the world,” said Mary. “Always a smile on her face. We love her to death. We were blessed with our daughter Kim and her husband Steve, now we have Dany and she’s just the apple of our eyes.”

~ Sardis Elementary Students Donate to Monroe County Dog Pound ~

Instead of having a Christmas gift exchange, the students in kindergarten, first, third and sixth grade classes at Sardis Elementary voted to hold a donation drive for the Monroe County Dog Pound. 

The classes combined raised $400 plus numerous bags of dog food, toys and treats for the Monroe County Dog Pound. 

Each year the Ronda Piatt, Monroe County Dog Warden, adopts out over 20 pets in the local area and sends over 400 to rescue in places like Canada, New York and Pennsylvania.

The donations received will help send more than 95 percent of the dogs to rescue that otherwise wouldn’t have a home.

Monroe County Dog Warden Ronda Piatt (center) poses with her dog Princess, along with the kindergarten teacher Jennifer Haught, first grade teacher Mrs. Jordan Jones, third grade teacher Jamee Stewart and sixth grade teacher Dave Wright, along with Principal Clint Abbott.

Photo Submitted


Our Readers Write

Dear Editor,

As I look back on 2010, I am struck by the people who have been touched by organ and tissue donation. they are sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, neighbors and friends. They are in every community, come from every walk of life and they give me a reason to go to work every day.

At Lifeline of Ohio, we have the immense privilege of honoring donors’ wishes. More than 400 central Ohioans gave the selfless gift of organs or tissues this year, resulting in hundreds of lives saved and improved through transplantation. Through the work we do, we see first-hand the impact saying “yes” to donation can make.

This year I was profoundly impacted by Avrie, a baby girl whose life can go on thanks to a heart transplant. Her family is forever grateful to her donor’s family, who made the brave decision to donate after losing their own child.

A local family whose son passed away before he could receive the transplant he needed brought tears to my eyes. Their strength in sharing Jonah’s story and honoring his memory by encouraging others to be donors astounds me. Sadly, 18 men, women and children die each day in the US because a transplant didn’t come in time.

I was moved by the shower of support a local community showed for Adam, a young boy who was a donor after his death this summer. More than 100 friends and family members came to our annual Dash for Donation to honor his memory just weeks after he passed away, an incredible sight.

These are just a few of the many lives touched by donation this year, and each story is remarkable. They are the reason I write this letter today. I hope to inspire you to take action.

As you enjoy the holiday season surrounded by loved ones, I ask you to consider the 110,000 Americans who wish to spend another holiday with their families. You can give them hope their transplant will come in time by signing up as an organ and tissue donor. By registering as a donor you have the potential to save eight lives and enhance up to 50 more. Please, sign up today. visit our website: 

www.lifelineofohio.org, call 800-525-5667 to request a registration form or simply say “yes” to donation when asked at the BMV.

Sincerely, Kent Holloway
CEO, Lifeline of Ohio 

Dear Editor,

We hope we are successful with calls and visits to the school board office. We don’t want to lose Mr. Abbott. Of course some of our calls would not go through. some will write the paper or talk on TV and others will just be able to talk to other people. We may not make a difference but if we don’t try we would never know. Sardis and Hannibal schools together are less than 150 students less than Woodsfield. We have gone through enough changes, though some have been good. Like the ones Mr. Abbott has helped with. He worked with balancing things between two elementary schools and has begun helping both staff, students and families affected with the process of uniting as one school. He has implemented programs and encouraged us to begin the blending. To find Mr. Abbott has been assigned to Woodsfield Elementary, on Tues, the 21st and that his last day will be the 22nd. It’s just not right to do to people.

I feel bad that Woodsfield Elementary will need a new principal, but why disrupt three schools and almost double the students to be affected. Mr. Elliott, how long have you known? I don’t feel this is fair to Mr. Abbott either. Yes, he is professional and will do what you ask him to do because he takes pride in his profession and cares about those he works with. Was he asked or told? Did you really look any further than your desk? I know you have the right to switch staff as you see fit, but did you ask for any feedback from the school board? Staff? Anyone?

You told me on the phone that Woodsfield was the largest elementary school in the district and needed someone with the experience to take over as principal? Surely there is more than one person in the district who could be considered. Actually I feel it is a bigger job to be principal at two different locations and at the same time start the process of blending them into one when the new school is built. This sounds difficult to me, but Mr. Abbott has accomplished much. combined, the Sardis and Hannibal schools are less than 150 students behind Woodsfield. Do not our students deserve the best as well. If there were three children in need does the bigger one deserve help more than the two smaller ones? Are they all not important? Mr. Abbott has been assigned to Woodsfield elementary, but when I ask who Sardis and Hannibal would be getting, you told me it had not been decided yet. Mr. Elliott, you told me if we were not satisfied with who was chosen that would be the time to say something. A little late then, I’d think. We are satisfied now with Mr. Abbott.

I have had two granddaughters graduate from Woodsfield. So it’s not that I am against any of the schools in the district. In fact, we have two grandchildren in Powhatan, one in Hannibal and two in Sardis. Thankfully none will graduate eighth grade the same year. Many have had to decide which graduation to attend, some deciding to go to none because they didn’t want to show favoritism. Surely with only six elementary schools, someone could come up with six different days for 8th grade graduation and three for the high school with none on the same day. It is an important day for most students and to leave one the second theirs is over and try to get to a cousins or friends takes away from it. Time and distance is a factor, plus finding a place to park!

We missed Mr. Fuchs when he left at the end of last year but felt he was in on the decision and wished him well. It was hard for Mr. Abbott to come in to take his place, I’m sure, but he did it and he did it well.

This being done at this time is like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. We try to guide our young students into tomorrow's voting citizens. If we treat them with indifference, how will they treat us, as the senior citizens of the future. Remember, they will be the ones voting on our lives.

I find it hard to believe, the easy way is not being taken. After all, what can we the property owner, tax payers do?

The students should have a constitution for the district to abide by: We the students, who live in the district, assigned to schools in our area or make transportation arrangements to go to another, do each one have the right to the same high quality education and standards as any other student in the district has. That we are created equal and should be treated equal, so help the Superintendent and School Board of their district.

This was written in haste as not much time was given to respond but I know there are others in your reader area that feel the same. I only hope to make a difference. I believe in children and their fair treatment.

Charlotte Wells, tax payer, grandparent, concerned citizen

David Wells, tax payer, grandparents, concerned citizen

Drew Wells - student 

Dear Editor,

I am writing in regards to the article you write called, “Along the Winding Roads.” I know that you like to show interesting places in Monroe County. One place that I think readers would enjoy is where my cousin Peggy Chaplin resides. She is almost 82 years old. Her home is on a hillside along SR 7, near Sardis. She has 77 steps that she climbs everyday just to get to her front door. Her hillside front yard is completely decorated including the railing on each side of her 77 steps. She decorates not only outside but inside as well with lights and manger scenes throughout. She is an incredible lady and takes pride in her decorations. She may be almost 82 but is truly a kid at heart. Folks come back for years just to see her front yard and reminisce about memories of the decorations they remembered that she displayed every year. She has been decorating for over 50 years. Please try to take a look at her hillside yard.

Duana McGinnis



■  12-30 Classifieds


Virginia Mae Broomhall Mann, 99, Englewood, Fla., formerly of Somerton, died Dec. 20, 2010 at Englewood Hospice House in Port Charlotte, Fla. She was born Dec. 5, 1911 in Dayton, a daughter of the late George and Trella Moore Broomhall.

The family later moved to Somerton, where she grew up and married Willard (Sock) Mann Aug. of 1931. The family moved to Barnesville in 1954 before relocating to Englewood in 1962.

She was a talented seamstress, a life member of the Order of Eastern Star, a member of Englewood United Methodist Church where she was very active for many years in her women’s prayer circle and the Ladies Craft Guild.

Surviving are a brother, Willis Broomhall of Englewood; a son, Richard (Sherry) Mann of Gainesville, Fla.; two daughters, Shirley (Jack) Bell of Barberton, Marilyn Ware (Jack) Anderson of Englewood; nine grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews, all dear to her heart.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Charles Willard Mann April 7, 1994; a brother, William (Martha) Broomhall; and a sister-in-law, Evelyn Broomhall.

Friends were received Dec. 28 at Campbell-Plumly-Milburn Funeral Home, Barnesville, where services will be held Dec. 29, at 1 p.m. with Rev. Tom Detling officiating. Special music will be provided by Larry Anderson. Burial follows in Somerton  Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the charitable organization of choice or to Tidewell Hospice, 5955 Rand Blvd., Sarasota, Fla. 34238.

Condolences may be expressed at www.CampbellPlumlyMilburnFuneralHome.com

Marilyn J. Ensinger, 80, Ensinger Lane, Sardis, died Dec. 25, 2010 at New Martins-ville Care & Rehabilitation Center. She was born April 29, 1930 in Sardis, the daughter of the late Fred and Daisy Rufener Bauman.

She was a member of the Zion United Church of Christ and a former member of the Hilltop Homemakers.

Surviving are two sons, Roy W. (Susie) Ensinger, Jr., of Sardis, Ken Ensinger of Powhatan Point; four sisters, Delores (Ray) Straub of Sardis, Arlene Winkler of Caldwell, Janet (Sam) Straub of Sardis, Janice (Fred) Miller of New Matamoras; two grandsons, Jason (Sarah) Ensinger of Toronto, Derek Ensinger of Powhatan Point; three great-grandchildren, Chase Meyer, Asher and Sadie Cole; and several nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Roy W. Ensinger.

Friends were received Dec. 28 at Grisell Funeral Home, Clarington, where funeral services will be held Dec. 29, at 1 p.m. with Rev. Terry Pringle officiating. Burial will be in Zion Memorial Garden, Sardis.

Memorial contributions may be made to Zion United Church of Christ Memorial Fund, Sardis, OH 43946.

Sympathy expressions at: grisellfuneralhomes.com

Phyllis Mary Pevarski, 80, New Matamoras, fell asleep in death on Dec. 25, 2010. She was born May 28, 1930 in Rayland, a daughter of the late Joseph and Theresa Pietro of Jelsi, Italy.

She was a faithful and devout Jehovah’s Witness of the Marietta congregation.

She enjoyed cooking, baking and found great pleasure in taking care of her family. She also found enjoyment in telling others about the Good News of God’s Kingdom.

She was a devoted mother of five sons, John Allen Pevarski of Reno, Nev., Kerry (Lois) Pevarski of New Martinsville, Craig (Diane) Pevarski of Hannibal, Glenn (Nanetta) Pevarski of Marietta, David (Lori) Pevarski of Caldwell; sisters, Ann Julian of Tiltonville, Mary Biardi of Dillonville, Vivian Suter of Dillonville; a brother, Patsy Peitro of Rayland; grandchildren; nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, John Pevarski, whom she had been married to for 33 years; a son, Keith and step-son, John Allen.

A memorial service will be  held at the Marietta Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses at a later date. McClure-Schafer-Lankford Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements.

Online condolences may be shared at: www.mslfuneralhome.com

Robert Leonard Miller, 62, Woodsfield, died Dec. 24, 2010 at Woodsfield Nursing and Rehabilitation Center after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was born Dec. 16, 1948 in Belmont County, a son of the late Henry B. and Ida M. Gallagher Miller.

He was an avid fisherman. He will be missed by everyone, because he was always there to give a helping hand and do odd jobs for people.

Surviving are four sisters, Nancy (Michael) Young, Rita (James Patrick) Shapley, both of Woodsfield routes, Catherine (Donald) Bunting of Woodsfield, Beverly (Timothy) Dick of Jerusalem; paternal uncle Elmer Thonen of Mt. Pleasant,; maternal aunts Jenny Gallagher of Canton, Rosalie (Willis) Carpenter of Beallsville; maternal uncle Larry (Judy) Gallagher of Junction City; several cousins, nieces and nephews and their family and friends.

Memorial service will be held Jan. 1, at 2 p.m. at the Woodsfield Church of Christ Fellowship building, with Brent Roth officiating. 

Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, in charge of arrangements.

Memorial contributions may be made in memory of Robert L. Miller to the Cancer Gas Cards Inc. of Monroe County, co Shirley Brown, 48397 Keylor Hill Rd., Woodsfield, OH 43793.Condolences can be expressed at: www.bauerturner.com

Harold D. Lynch, 66, Summerfield, died Dec. 15, 2010 at his home. He was born March 26, 1944 in Canton, a son of the late Opha and Goldia Miller Lynch. He was a retired mechanic and a U.S. Army veteran. Surviving are a son, David Lynch; a sister, Eve Losey of Canton; and a brother, Roy D. Lynch.

There will be no visitation or service. Burial will be held at the convenience of the family.

Arrangements by Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfiel

Edgar L. Ring, 84, Canton, died Dec. 24, 2010 at Canton Christian Home. He was born Sept. 6, 1926 in Rinard Mills, a son of the late Herbert and Sarah Knowlton Ring. 

After graduating from Woodsfield High School, he joined the U.S. Navy, serving aboard the U.S.S. Lake Champlain during WWII. He later served in the Army during the Korean War. He was a loyal member of the Ohio Operating Engineers Local 18. On Feb. 19, 1955, he married Jeanne Elizabeth Malaney. They are members of St. Theresa Little Flower Catholic Church.

Surviving are his loving wife of 55 years, Jeanne Ring; a son Dan (June) Ring;  four grandchildren, Veena, Rani, Ned and Wes, two brothers, Eugene (Eileen) Ring, Paul (Marie) Ring, Bernard Ring and sister, Rosalea (Doyle) Tatum; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Florence and Frank Thomas and numerous nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his stepmother, Lillie Ring; an infant son, Michael and two brothers, Herbert and William Ring.

Friends were received Dec. 27 in Reed Funeral Home North Canton Chapel. Mass of Christian burial was celebrated Dec. 28, in Little Flower Catholic Church, with Rev. Fr. John Zuzik as celebrant. Burial followed in Calvary Cemetery.

Condolences may be offered at www.reedfuneralhome.com.