Home  Subscribe  Advertising  Community  About Us Archives

740-472-0734 P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793   monroecountybeacon@sbcglobal.net

Below are links to portions of this week's news articles. For the full story, pick up a paper at your local newsstand or send $2 ($2.50 if the issue is over 3 months old) with date of paper requested, your name and address to P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793 and we will send you a paper.

February 10, 2011

Our Readers Write 

Dear Editor,

Last year, approximately 1,100 low to moderate income taxpayers in Monroe County claimed and received the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). As a result, more than $2.2 million in EITC money - an average of $2,098 per taxpayer - came back to county residents, to be saved or spent as each recipient saw fit.

The Internal Revenue Service estimates that about 80 percent of those who qualify for EITC apply for and receive it, but many still miss out because they fail to claim their EITC. Beginning with EITC Awareness Day on Jan. 28 and extending throughout the month of February, the IRS is reaching out to potentially qualifying taxpayers to educate them about the credit and motivate them to file and claim it.

People who earned $48,362 or less from wages, self-employment or farming in 2010 should check to see if they qualify. Workers who may qualify for EITC include those who live in rural areas, those who are self-employed, or have experienced other status changes.

This year, the EITC benefit tops out at $5,555 for married taxpayers who have three or more qualifying children and who file a joint return, but parenthood is not required to qualify. The EITC Assistant tool on www.irs.gov can help determine EITC eligibility and filing status, as well as estimate the amount of credit you may be due. Help can also be found at IRS Taxpayer Assistant Centers and at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites. EITC - if you earned it, file, claim it and get it.

Jennifer Jenkins

Around the Burnside      

Don’t think about the cost of doing something; think about the cost of doing nothing.

An ounce of don’t say it, is worth a pound of didn’t mean it.

Well, we’re still having weather. It is nice, however, when we have a day with no snow and sunshine as it was yesterday. (Thurs. of last week). Cold but no snow.

We seem to rely on animals to predict the weather and other things. The groundhog has predicted that spring is just around the corner. Only one problem, there is no indication where that corner is located. In 117 times Mr. Groundhog is correct only 29 percent of the time. I’m not sure if this is predicting an early spring or what. The story didn’t say. Even at that, I sometimes think the groundhog is as accurate as some of the experts I see on TV.

I saw where an elephant was used to predict the outcome of the Super Bowl. You know now if the old boy was correct. Two watermelons were painted, one with the Packers logo and one with the Steelers logo. The melons were put in place and the elephant was turned loose. Mr. elephant walked out and stomped the Steeler watermelon, meaning the Packers would win. You know now if the elephant made a correct prediction. The little skit with the elephant didn’t show if it went over and stomped the Packer watermelon too. Come to think of it, I would not put any money on either prediction if I were a betting man. I did read where you could have purchased a ticket to the game for several thousand dollars plus some change. I plan to sit in my newly purchased recliner with a can of Mountain Dew, some potato chips and maybe a hot dog and watch the game. I might even be tempted to turn to another station if it gets boring. I can hardly wait to watch the halftime show. Ha! Who am I kidding?

Got some excellent news the other day. After a number of trips to Parkersburg, getting shots to the eye, a cataract removed, the eye doctors tell me they don't want to see me for several months now. One for five months and one for over a year, unless I have a problem. This means my eyesight is excellent. They even had a big smile when they told me. My smile was bigger. Now if I could get my ears to working a bit better I’d have it made. This is not all bad as the hearing aids work OK and I can lay on my better ear at night and have everything nice and quiet, for the most part.

It kind of looks as though several of our basketball teams have done very well this year. Monroe girls have made it to the OVAC playoff and it looks as though all three boys’ teams will make it to the playoff. This means they are one of the top four teams in their OVAC division. We wish them luck.

Sudden thought: With all the technology floating around and worked into our school curriculum we still rely on a groundhog and elephant to tell us what’s going to happen.

Did you ever ride a stick horse when you were a kid? I think I ran off a good number of Indians, rustlers and crooks with my stick horse.  Now some would think a kid’s elevator did not quite reach the top floor now if they saw a kid riding a stick horse around. We even tied a rope on the front of our horse for a bridle. After all, we had to know if we were riding our horse forward or backward.

Flash forward to the Ohio State campus. You might see up to 50 college students riding a broom, yes a broom. Talk about your learning technology.

I guess it all started with Harry Potter. I’m not sure as I’ve never read any of the books or seen any of the Harry Potter movies so I’m not exactly sure about what I am writing about.

I think in one of the movies there were witches flying around on brooms trying to catch someone who had stolen a golden something.

As you know, witches today cannot fly around on a broom so the college students have developed a game, contest or whatever it is, called Quidditch.

Each team has eight positions. Three chasers try to score goals with the quaffle (a soccer ball), two beaters to knock the opposing team members out of play by hitting them with a bludger (kickball) and keeper guards the goal posts and a seeker to catch the Golden Snitch that can run anywhere. They must ride this broom at all times. If hit by a bludger then must run around the goal posts. It must be rough as the OSU team broke all their brooms during their first game. Oh yes, players are called muggler, I guess that’s a witch that can’t fly. If you want to learn more about it, look it up on the internet.

Nothing lasts longer than something you don’t like.

Church Sunday? Why not?


~ Beallsville K-12 School Project Progressing ~

Despite the snow and cold temperatures, the Beallsville K-12 school project has continued and, as you can see from the photos above, steady progress is being made. The pictures show different views of the project. The picture on the left shows the high school classrooms, left, and to the right, the elementary classrooms in front and the elementary school gym behind. According to Marc Ring, SOLSD director of support services, a wall (the front area where the scaffolding is shown) will connect the two buildings. The right photo is a side view.      
Photos Courtesy of Marc Ring

Stan Roby opens the door to the new 72’x24’ geo-thermal greenhouse, which is move-in ready. The new addition will cut down on the heating costs and that savings can be passed on to customers.

Malaga Greenhouse has an annual Valentine’s Day raffle. This year it’s for a large pink, fluffy teddy bear that holds a goblet of two dozen red roses. Stop in for more details. The drawing is at 4:30 p.m. Valentine’s Day. Joan holds the prize, minus the roses, as she stands beside the new delivery van purchased by Malaga Greenhouse.    Photos by Martha Ackerman

Custom Growing ... What is it? 

by Martha Ackerman

Custom growing. What is it? It’s a new concept in gardening that is being introduced locally by Stan and Joan Roby of Malaga Greenhouse. It’s a way for the gardener to find just what he or she wants to grow and receive advice on the best plants to accomplish that task and, best of all, the plants will be available to the customers when they want them. “Custom growing is not more expensive, it’s just more convenient,” said Stan. What a great idea for the local community gardener!

“Custom growing is an opportunity for our customers to get the products they want when they want them and how much they want,” said Stan. If you are an early gardener, Malaga Greenhouse can accommodate you with the plants you want to get that jump on things. If you want to begin planting in May, when the majority of people start their summer vegetable and flower gardening, the plants could be ready for you then. What a concept!

Custom growing also allows you to choose the varieties of vegetables and flowers you want without traipsing all over to find those specific varieties. Customers have already shown interest in the custom growing, noted Stan. Malaga Greenhouse has several orders for spring plants as well as orders for specific types of hanging floral baskets. Custom orders placed before March 1 will receive a 10 percent discount off regular retail pricing, said Stan, adding there are always discounts on quantity.

With the custom growing will be a change in the pricing structure. Customers will still be able to purchase the more inexpensive plants, but pricing will reflect the cost of seeds and production. This gives customers a better sense of the quality of the plants they are purchasing and the opportunity to try different varieties.

This year, in addition to a variety of daylilies and hostas, Malaga Greenhouse will be stocking 20 types of perennials, 75 different annuals, 35 different vegetable plants and 25 different herbs. They like to introduce new varieties each year. For example, Joan is excited to be able to offer asparagus plants this year. She said the plant takes two years of growth until it produces, but then it can produce for 20 years. “We will be trying all kinds of new things and will be researching to find out what works best for our customers,” said Joan.

Joan also pointed out that now is the time to get your tree order in. If it’s a type of fruit or flowering tree you want, the Roby’s can probably find it and order it for you.

Stan is excited about the new addition to their business – a geothermal heated greenhouse. Years ago the prior owners, Dan & Sue Greenlee, installed geothermal capability for hydroponics growing. This past fall, with expert advice from Roy Wilson and help from many others, a new 72’x24’ greenhouse has been built and the geothermal equipment reactivated by Rumer-Loudin technicians. The Robys hope to save significantly on the heating costs. “We can better control growing expenses with the geothermal greenhouse and carry that savings on to our customers,” said Stan.

Stan and Joan are also starting a garden center this year in a large area behind the office and gift shop. Customers will be able to browse the area and see plants in different stages as well as a variety of container plants. The garden center will also carry a variety of soils, mulches and gardening tools.

The main sales greenhouse, as in years past, will be a browsable area full of flowers and vegetable plants. Spring flowers, including bulb gardens, tulips, daffodils, hya-cinths and crocus plants, will soon be ready, noted Joan. Bulbs were started last fall and are available through Easter.

The Robys would like to see more young folks try gardening. A lot of the younger generation may be overwhelmed by the thought of planting a garden, said Stan, but he added there are so many good sources available right here in Monroe County. “Local farmers have a wealth of information and most are willing to share the knowledge they have from years of experience,” said Dan.

The community has been very supportive, noted Joan. She said they have brought them vases to re-use which helps cut costs in the family business. Seventy-five percent or more of the items in the gift shop come from local crafters. The cala lilies used in arrangements are grown on site.

Malaga Greenhouse is a full service business and can provide floral arrangements for weddings, funerals and special occasions. Joan also suggests you call her if you need floral delivery any where in the country. She can save you time and money by working directly with other florists. Local delivery is always available at Malaga Greenhouse.

And if it is information you’re seeking, Stan and Joan have a great command of the internet and if they don’t know how to deal with a plant problem, they have the world to access to find the solution. One customer called to ask what to do about the little white bugs on the mums she held over from last season. Joan told her to put a little Dawn dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle full of water and spray it well. The soap acts as a pesticide. “We’re not experts yet, but we are on the internet,” said Stan, who has had years of experience with computers. He added that OSU Extension is a wonderful resource, noting that any gardening question you ask, they will either provide the answer or tell you where to find the answer. “They are a wonderful group locally and in Columbus.  They’re top notch,” added Stan.

Malaga Greenhouse, located on State Route 800, one mile south of Malaga, is open Monday-Wednesday, 9-5; Thursday, 9-1; Friday and Saturday, 9-5. For more information on their custom growing, phone 740-472-1116 anytime or email to malagagreenhouse@gmail.com 

Served as Navigator in WWII

This article is printed through the courtesy of Denise Goolsby, The Desert Sun, “Honoring our WWII Heroes” that featured former resident Lee Yoss, originally from Woodsfield, was a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Corps; 10th Air Force; 5th Bomb Group; 492nd Bomb Squadron.

U.S. Army Air Corps veteran Lee Yoss flew 62 missions as a B-24 bomber navigator in the China-Burma-India theater of war during World War II.

Yoss had a year of college under his belt at The Ohio State University when he enlisted in the air corps.

The engineering major entered the service as an air cadet and later, because of his engineering background, was assigned as a navigator.

He trained at Ellington Field in San Marcos, Texas, and was assigned to a bomber crew at March Field in Riverside County.

“We were there for about four months training for combat missions,” he said.

At Hamilton Field near Sacramento, “We were as-signed a brand new B-24,” to fly overseas to India, Yoss said.

The crew took the long way to their assigned air base. The group flew across the U.S. to Newfoundland, then to the North African cities of Marrakesh, Tripoli and Cairo, among many other stops.

“We saw the Taj Mahal,” he said. “As long as we were going, I made sure we went to all these places,” he said, laughing. “I was the navigator.”

In Cairo, “We stayed there two days,” Yoss said. “We got to see the pyramids.”

The crew managed to buy time and extend their “vacation” by blaming it on the aircraft.

“Our pilot always had something ‘wrong’ with the engine that had to be ‘repaired,’” Yoss said, laughing.

The crew caught hell for its leisurely jaunt across the continents.

“The commanding officer said, ‘It took you three weeks to get here. From now on, you’re going to be flying in combat!’”

On the first few missions, the pilot and navigator flew with experienced pilots and their crews to get an idea of what it was like to be in battle.

Yoss’ first mission with his new crew was Mandalay, Burma, and he asked what kind of resistance they’d be facing over the target.

“The pilot said, ‘Look, it’s a piece of cake. It’s a milk run,’” Yoss said.

As they approached Mandalay, things went sideways quickly.

“Holy Smokes! All of a sudden here comes the Zeroes, the Japanese fighter planes, shooting at us. Ack ack (anti-aircraft fire) was coming up at us. We could see the flak. We could hear the flak hitting the plant and knocking holes in the plane.”

The aircraft managed to land safely, but all aboard were shaken by the experience.

“The crew kissed the ground,” he said.

Yoss thought the pilot had downplayed the danger of the bomb run–but, in fact, the pilot was just as surprised as Yoss.

“He said, ‘This is one of the toughest missions we’ve ever had,’” Yoss said.

After a couple of missions, Yoss and his original crew were reunited and were on their way, for the first time as a group, into combat. 

“We started flying in formation,” Yoss said. “We had to fly as tail-end Charlie–the last plane in the formation.”

On the ground it took a while for the Japanese to adjust their anti-aircraft guns to the correct height to hit the incoming bombers.

The plane flying last in formation “was the one that got the very bad ack ack,” he said. “Our plane flew tail-end Charlie for about four missions. That was rough.”

After flying about 10 missions in regular formation, they were assigned as the lead crew; Yoss was the lead navigator.

“We bombed airfields, munition dumps, fuel supply depots and railroads,” he said. “I had 38 missions. We thought maybe they would be sending us home, but we flew four more missions.”

“The scariest times were when the Japanese fighters were coming up after us,” he said. “The fighters would dive through our formation. Our guns were shooting at them. The Zeroes knocked down a couple of our planes.”

After the crew tallied its 42nd mission, they were assigned to assist the Air Transport Command–the group in charge of delivering supplies to troops fighting in China.

The transport planes flew perilous missions over the Himalayan Mountains– dubbed “The Hump”– and many were lost due to bad weather conditions or engine troubles.

“They needed fuel transported,” Yoss said. “They converted some of our B-24s into fuel tankers. They took three bomb bays out and put big tanks in and loaded them up with fuel. We had to fly over The Hump and deliver the fuel to China.”

Although the transport planes didn’t face enemy fighter pilots or anti-aircraft fire,the rugged terrain and poor visibility claimed many planes and their crews.

“We lost more planes flying The Hump,” he said. “They’d lose an engine and with that heavy load of fuel ... so many planes exploded on the mountain.”

Then the “B-29 dropped an A-bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and they allowed our crew” to return to the States.

The crew’s original aircraft, nicknamed “The Old 97,” survived all of its missions, including the flight home.

After the war, Yoss returned to The Ohio State University and earned his engineering degree.

Yoss went into business for himself after spending a few years in the workforce after graduation.

He owned Lee Foam Products Inc. for 50 years, operating three plants in Southern California and two plants in Mexico.

Yoss was born in Woodsfield Dec. 23, 1923. At age 86, he resides in Palm Desert, California, with his wife Shirley. They are the parents of five children: Barry Yoss, David Yoss and Mark Yoss, all deceased; Denise Freitag of Easton, Maryland; and Lori Demorest of Coto de Caza, California. They have six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

In a separate article, origin unknown, Lt. Leland R. Yoss was awarded the Air Medal ...

Lt. Leland R. Yoss, son of Mr. and Mrs. D.J. Yoss, Jackson Ridge, was awarded the Air Medal and one Oak Cluster of meritorious achievement by participating in heavy bombardment missions and Allied operational flights totaling more than 200 flying hours. Lt. Yoss has had 21 missions over Burma, Thailand and the Andaman Islands. Several of these missions lasted over 16 hours. Lt Yoss entered the AAF in August, 1943, and received his navigator’s wings July 31, 1944. He had been overseas since December of that year.

He was graduated from Woodsfield High School in 1941. He then attended Elliott Business School and later The Ohio State University where he was an engineering student at the time of his enlistment. He has a brother, Sgt. Roy Yoss who has been serving in the Southwest Pacific for 28 months.

Editor’s Note: Yoss is the son of the D.J. Yoss, whose Jackson Ridge store was featured in the Jan. 27 edition of the Monroe County Beacon’s “Monroe County: Stepping Back in Time” special section.

Lee Yoss, Navigator, WWII


Lee Yoss


■  2-10 Classifieds


Charles “Pepsi” Koher, 79, New Matamoras, passed away Jan. 31, 2011 at Marietta Care and Rehabilitation Center. He was born Aug. 14, 1931, a son of the late Charles C. Koher and Esther Colvin Koher.

Pepsi was a retired riverboat pilot and was a pilot for the Sistersville Ferry. He attended Gravel Hill Baptist Church.

Surviving are a son, Rick (Amy) Koher of Marietta; brother, Lawrence Koher of Fly; sister, Betty Ritchie of Barberton; three grandchildren; a great-grandson; and nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister.

Friends were received Feb. 2 at Myers Funeral Home, where services were held Feb 3, with Rev. Deimer Cameron officiating. Burial in Mehrley Cemetery.

Condolences may be offered at myersfuneralhomewv.com 

Charles E. Bott, 89, Marietta, passed away at 8:26 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2011 at Marietta Memorial Hospital. He was born Jan. 26, 1921 in Woodsfield, a son of the late Charles and Lula Mae Lucas Bott.

He was a graduate of Woodsfield High School and had been employed by Kardex until his retirement. He was a member of Steel Workers Union 3241 and had held several offices and was a member of Sixth and Washington Church of Christ. He owned a camper and loved to travel.

Surviving are his wife, Ruth Burkhart Bott, whom he married Aug. 1, 1970; a daughter, Beverly Bott (Tom) Johnson; grandchildren, Brenda (Bert) Garvin, Jeff Johnson; four great-grandchildren, Amanda (Shawn) Cozzens, Robert Warden, Jr., Emily and Zach Johnson; a great-great-granddaughter, Raylee Cozzens; two step-children, Greg (Pearl) Goddard, Ronald (Diane) Goddard; four step-grandchildren, Marie Rae, Michelle Hadzima, Bill and Chad (Mari) Goddard; and four step-great-grandchildren, Ethan, Chandler and Braiden Goddard, and Skylar Witlock..

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his first wife Mary Bott on Jan. 2, 1969; a brother, Guy Bott; and step-grandson, Scott Goddard.

Friends were received Jan. 20 at McClure-Schafer-Lankford Funeral Home, Marietta, where funeral service were held Jan. 21, with Roger Rush officiating. Burial followed in Oaklawn Cemetery, Woodsfield.

Condolences may be shared at www.mslfuneralhome.com

Mary L. Neuenschwander, 93, Woodsfield Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, formerly of Brookville, Ind., died Feb. 4, 2011 at the center. She was born Oct. 21, 1917 near Brookville, a daughter of the late William and Bessie Mildred Stout Lackey.

She was a retired food service worker at Miami Unive-rsity, Oxford, and was a Christian by faith.

Surviving are three daughters, Adienne (David) Robert-son of Decatur, Ill., Tari (David) Lohrey of Lewisville, Shari (Jeff) Reusser of Medina; two sons, Kris (Mary Ann) Neuenschwander of Palm Beach Garden, Fla., Tim (Beth) Neuenschwander of New Mexico; a sister, Joan Urban of Brookville, Ind., 17 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by two brothers, Marvin and Bob Lackey.

Friends were received two hours before funeral services on Feb. 7 at Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfield.

Graveside services were held Feb. 8 at Mt. Carmel Cemetery near Brookville, Ind.

Harold G. Ackerman, 91, Woodsfield, died Feb. 2, 2011 at his home. He was born in Monroe County Oct. 13, 1919, a son of the late William and Jessie Turner Ackerman.

He was the owner/operator of the Ackerman Bear Wheel Alignment. He was a member of the Woodsfield K of P Lodge, Woodsfield Eagles Lodge, a Charter member of the Mountaineer C.B. Club, and had played as a drummer in various bands including the Monroe Ramblers, the B Flats and the Four A’s.

Surviving are his wife of over 60 years, Fern Reed Ackerman of Woodsfield; a son, Mark (Edith) Ackerman of Beallsville; a daughter, Linda (Donald) McKelvey of Clarington; two sisters, Ruth Donna Simpson of Woodsfield, Helen Jane Strickling of Woodsfield; sister-in-law, Jean Ackerman of Woodsfield; five grandchildren, David McKelvey, Daniel McKelvey, Donda (Randy) Snell, Michele (Michael) Ebert and Yvonne Ackerman; six great-grandchildren, Dalton, Miranda, Joshua, Taylor, Jordan and Hayden; and several nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister, Eloise Smith; a brother, Bill Ackerman and an infant brother.

Friends were received Feb. 4 at Bauer-Turner funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral services were held Feb. 5, with Rev. Frank Lehosky officiating. Burial in Beallsville Cemetery.

Condolences may be expressed at 

Charles J. Baker, 65, of 30001 Township Road 232, Lewisville, died Feb. 7, 2011, at Barnesville Hospital, Barnesville. He was born at Carrollton, Penn., on July 19, 1945, a son of the late Robert and Elizabeth Bearer Baker.

He was a retired river barge deckhand for J&C Towing, Wheeling, W. Va. He was a Catholic by faith and enjoyed hunting and farming. 

Surviving are his companion of seven years, Violet Bishop, of Lewisville; three sons: Robert Baker, Charles (Amy) Baker, both of Beallsville; James Baker of Virginia; two brothers: Bill and Martin Baker, both of Pennsylvania; three sisters: Martha, Arlene and Cathy; and six grandchildren.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one sister, Rosetta, and one brother, Andy Baker.

There will be no visitation or service. Interment will be held at the convenience of the family.

Arrangements by Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfield.

Larry DeWayne Wildman, 66, Hannibal, formerly of Pine Grove, W.Va., died Feb. 2, 2011 at his home. He was born Aug. 8, 1944 in New Martinsville, a son of the late Ralph L. and Edith M. Postlethwait Wildman.

He was retired from Schott Glass which was formerly Corning Glass with a total of 30 years experience, past president of Valley High School Alumni Association, past coach for youth league softball and basketball, member of New Martinsville Jaycees, Paden City Fire Department, Middlebourne EMS, Sons of American Legion, Pine Grove, New Martinsville Moose Lodge No. 931, volunteer at New Martinsville Care and Rehabilitation Center and member of the Duffy Church of Christ.

Surviving are his wife, Pat Wildman of Hannibal; two sons, Michael (Rebecca) Wildman of Lehigh Acres, Fla., Christopher Wildman of Fort Myers, Fla.; a daughter, Elizabeth (Douglas) Hoskins of Hannibal; brother, William “Bill” (Linda) Wildman of Pine Grove, W.Va.; three grandchildren and a niece.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sister, Linda Wildman in 2010.

Friends were received Feb. 6 at Jarvis-Williams Funeral Homes, New Martinsville, where funeral services were held Feb. 7, with Jerry Yost officiating. Burial in Postlethwait Cemetery, Wileyville, W.Va., at the convenience of the family.

Memorial contributions may be made in Larry’s name, to American Cancer Society, 122 S. High St., Morgantown, WV 26501 or Juvenile Diabetes, 26 Broadway, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10004. Expressions of sympathy may be made to www.jarvisfuneralhomes.com 

Muriel Toothman Tucker, 89, West Chester, Pa., formerly of Clarington, died Feb. 5, 2011 at Life Care Hospital in West Chester. She was born Nov. 2, 1921 in Drumright, Okla., the daughter of the late Francis and Anna Edna Mittendorf Toothman.

She was a member of the Riverfront and Clarington Senior Citizens; Chester County Day Care; and Clarington United Methodist Church.

Surviving are a son, Tommy (Theresa) Tucker of Clarington; three daughters, Susie (Gilbert) Zink of West Chester, Debbie (Robert) Reed of Beallsville, Betsy Conger of Mesa, Ariz.; a brother, Francis “Jack” (Elsie) Toothman of Mesa; 11 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Ensil “Russ” Tucker; a brother, Robert Toothman; a sister, Betty Delver; a grandson, Timothy Zink; a nephew, Gary Myers and the great-aunt and uncle who raised her, Harvey and Alice Thompson.

Friends will be received Feb. 12, from 11 a.m. until time of funeral service at 1 p.m. at Grisell Funeral Home & Crematory, Clarington, with Rev. Richard Wilson officiating. Burial in Clarington Cemetery.

Sympathy expressions at grisellfuneralhomes.com