Home  Subscribe  Advertising  Community  About Us Archives

740-472-0734 P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793   monroecountybeacon@sbcglobal.net

Below are links to portions of this week's news articles. For the full story, pick up a paper at your local newsstand or send $2 ($2.50 if the issue is over 3 months old) with date of paper requested, your name and address to P.O. Box 70, Woodsfield, OH  43793 and we will send you a paper.

November 11, 2010

~ Burke Honored With Presidential Birthday Card ~

Veteran Vernon Burke, 81, was presented a birthday card from President and Mrs. Obama. Presenting the card is veteran Danny Jones. Shown, from left, are: Carol and Danny Jones, Vernon and Billie Burke. While serving in the military in Berkley, California, Burke was one of a few special guards selected to protect President Harry S. Truman, a fond memory of his military days.      Photo by Martha Ackerman

Prosecuting Attorney Retires

Hosting a retirement party for Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney L. Kent Riethmiller, along with the staff of Judge Julie Selmon, are, from left: assistant prosecutors James L. Peters and Thomas A. Hampton; L. Kent Riethmiller, retiring prosecuting attorney; Kim Whitacre, legal assistant; Lynn Booher, victims’ advocate; and Becky Huffman, legal assistant.         Ackerman Photo


A farewell reception was held Oct. 26 for Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney L. Kent Riethmiller, who is retiring to his Ohio Township family farm to do the things he enjoys. The reception, which was attended by more than 100 well wishers, was held on the third floor of the courthouse and hosted by Riethmiller’s staff and the staff of Monroe County Common Pleas Judge Julie Selmon.

Riethmiller graduated from Ohio State University’s Law School and has practiced law in Monroe County since 1977. He served as a public defender for 10 years and has been Monroe County Prosecuting Attorney since 1996. From 1977 to 2000 he also had a private practice. He has been Monroe County’s full time prosecuting attorney since 2001.

Riethmiller has seen a lot over the years while serving Monroe County. The most horrific and serious were the murder cases but, he said,  the multiple counts of sexual abuse were the most difficult. “It is becoming all too common,” said the prosecutor. “Crime is on the increase and there are minimal resources to meet that upswing. People need to understand,” he continued and explained that the state does not house some prisoners and it comes back to the lower level where counties are required to provide housing. There are no treatment facilities and there are minimal resources.

On drug abuse, the prosecutor said, “People don’t realize how fast this has happened. The average person doesn’t know until they have personal contact with it.” He emphasized the need for more education in the primary grades. When those students using drugs reach high school, they are dependent and in desperate need of treatment. “We need a minimal treatment facility.”

He added that a lot of these drug users become high school juvenile delinquents or felony adults. “Much of our crime is due to or associated with drug abuse,” said Riethmiller, who noted that the community needs to deal with this growing problem. “It needs to be a priority,” he said.

“I feel it is time to retire,” said the prosecutor. “There are things I want to do.” Riethmiller enjoys woodworking and making split white oak baskets; he enjoys the farm and would like to do some in-country traveling. His wife Joyce has a little gift shop, “Out of the Woods,” at the family farm, where he might add some of his baskets and woodworking. He has been demonstrating his basket making at festivals for 12 years. Recently, he and Joyce had a spot at the Black Walnut Festival, where Riethmiller demonstrated his craft.

The couple has a son Jonathan, who with his wife Lauren, lives in Columbus .

The Democratic Executive Committee will be selecting Riethmiller’s successor, who will serve out the prosecutor’s current term which expires January 2013

James L. Peters was appointed Nov. 1 as interim prosecutor by the Monroe County Commissioners.

Around the Burnside   

Never raise your voice unless the house is on fire.

The only thing that gets thicker as it spreads is a rumor.

Now that the election is over, I guess things can get back to normal. It’s kind of fun to listen to the experts tell us what could and might happen as a result of the election outcome. Kind of like the experts we hear while watching sports on TV.

It might be nice if those elected could remember to do what they promised trying to win your vote. Somehow it doesn’t seem to work out that way. Oh well, we will just have to wait and see.

Born before 1945? We were born before television, cell phones, air conditioning, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, microwaves, plastic contact lenses, frisbees, electric cars and the pill. We were before radar, credit cards, laser beams Ipods, ball point pens, panty hose, clothes dryers, electric blankets, dishwashers, computers, smart boards, a roof to reflect both heat and cold and I’m sure you can name a lot more. In addition, we eat a lot of the food they tell us now is bad for our health. We even used a lot of lard. They tell me the best chicken they have eaten was deep fried in lard. We always rendered up a good supply of lard when we butchered hogs.

We didn’t render it outside in a large kettle and wood fire as they did at the Soakem Festival. I did get to remind myself why I didn’t eat the kracklins when we rendered lard. Yuk!

How did we ever make it? Do you remember when there were 5&10 cent stores and you could actually buy something for a nickel or a dime?

I’m not like someone I know. I wear house slippers around the house. I remember too well what it felt like when I kicked a cow when I was wearing gum boots. Things tend to jump out at me when I walk around in my bare feet or just wearing socks. I’m all set again. I went to Pamida and bought a pair and got the second pair for 60 percent off.

Well, the colorful fall leaves didn’t last very long. The heavy rain and wind took its toll. I always liked the fall of the year with the leaves turning all colors and I didn’t even mind the following winter season.

We have a good crop of leaves scattered on our lawn. I’ve chopped them up a couple of times but still they come. I kind of wish we could just burn them like we did when I was a kid. Just another thing you don’t dare do now days I’m waiting for a strong wind to blow the rest of my leaves to a neighbor’s yard.

The problem is we have one tree that has not shed very many of its leaves. Does this mean we’re in for a cold winter? I think I heard something like this some time ago. Those weather experts just can’t wait to predict snow. I really like it when they are wrong. It’s too early to have them yapping about snow already. I predict snow is on the way. I just don’t know when.

Just when the political ads on TV end and everyone is happy, I’ve heard more complaints about them than any time I can remember. What happens? They start with Christmas ads. You just can’t win. Then I guess we wouldn’t have all the good TV programs if it were not for the commercials. Just grin and bear it.

I made a little boo boo the other week and a reader called me to task over it. I indicated it was Interstate 40 that went by Fairview when it is actually Interstate 77. I’m not like the man that said, “I’m not always right but I’m never wrong.”

I don’t know about you but my forgetter is working overtime now days. If I don’t do something right away, I seem to forget what I was going to do. For example, Esther will say, “Take out the trash!” Unless I drop doing the important things I am doing, I forget to take the trash out. Sometimes it works out ok as Esther will go ahead and take out the trash. Having hearing aids are not too bad either. I can always say, “I didn’t hear you.” One thing I do not forget is NCIS comes on Channel 7 at 8 p.m. on Tuesday. Reruns are on USA.

Be sure to remember a veteran and those who are in the service!

Good advice: Dig a well before you get thirsty.

Don’t forget church Sunday.

~ Flag Flown Over Afghanistan ~

John Huffman Sr. of Jerusalem, right, is shown with TSgt. Todd Huffman, who presented a flag, which was flown over Afghanistan, to his great-uncle in honor of his sacrifice and dedication to the Colors during WWII. “Your heroism will not be forgotten.” On April 23 the American flag was proudly flown in the skies over Afghanistan during a combat mission on a C-17A Globemaster III at the request of TSgt. Huffman. Huffman is a 25-year aircraft mechanic, serving with the 121st Air Refueling Wing, Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base near Columbus.            Photo Submitted


Woodsfield route 4 postal carrier David Ricer has retired. It’s not by choice this rural carrier is retiring, but medical issues has necessitated his retirement. Shown, from left, are, sitting: Billy Ricer, David’s father; standing: brother Gary; David Ricer, retiree; David’s mother Dorothy Ricer; and his brother Rick with daughter Lily.                      
Photo by Martha Ackerman

Retirement Not By Choice

by Martha Ackerman
General Manager/Editor

He spent a tour in Vietnam, was a coal miner, construction worker and has been a Woodsfield Route 4 rural mail carrier since June 1987. David Ricer was honored at a retirement party recently, hosted by his family. It has not been by choice that this rural carrier is retiring. His health has become his enemy. The enemy and the warfare he faced in Vietnam have been destroying his health over the years. Agent Orange has left Dave with Ischemic heart disease. He has had three strokes and four heart attacks since 2001. “Vietnam has haunted me my whole life,” he said.

After the first stroke, which left Ricer alone on the Lick Skillet part of  his mail route, propped against a tire for hours until most of the crippling affects of the stroke subsided. Did he go to an ER or a doctor or even tell his wife? No, he finished his route and went home. But the next day, another stroke hit him and he was rushed to the ER. “I was off a long time,” said this postal employee.

“Dying is not bothering me,” said Ricer. “I made my peace with Jesus in Vietnam. It’s the people I’m leaving behind.”

Over the years, Ricer has brought joy to many children and families. He has been their mail carrier, their therapist in marital, personal and financial problems. He has been there for “his family” as he calls them through thick and thin. “It’s hard to keep your emotions out of the job. I’ll miss the people. I could have been fired for some of the things,” said Ricer. “Charges were filed and I was worried for a few months,” he said. The 1991 charges were for leaving candy in the mailbox for the children of his rural customers. The charges were finally dropped, “but the candy in the mailboxes continued.” He has always believed in his principles, right and wrong, before regulations.

Candy wasn’t the only thing this mail carrier brought to the children on his route. Ricer has served as an officer in a number of organizations and when Christmas came, the organizations collected toys, some of which Ricer delivered to those children on his route who would have a better Christmas because of this mail carrier’s caring ways.

The young boy who killed his first deer will remember him. Dave saw him dragging the deer. The boy was so proud, noted Ricer. On his return trip past the young man, he saw that some out-of-state hunters were taking the boy’s deer claiming it was theirs. The mail carrier stopped and questioned the hunters. Dave told them he knew it was the lad’s deer. They were carrying 12 gauge shotguns, the boy, a 20 gauge. Dave dug out the slug and showed them, telling them to leave the boy and his deer alone. A big guy threw a punch at the mail carrier, but found himself over the hill. It was the only time Ricer’s 35 years of martial arts training was used on his mail route.  “The boy’s family thanked me for years,” said Ricer.

He was delivering a certified letter at a residence. As he stepped inside waiting for the signature, he found the family with very little heat coming from a wood stove and it was in the dead of winter. After his route, he purchased a kerosene heater, two containers of kerosene and a pump and took it to the family.

Over the years, Ricer delivered turkeys and hams to people on his route. “They needed it and those people were like family.” There were also times he gave them money. One time a customer told him he didn’t have money for milk for his baby. Dave gave him a twenty, but then later saw the man at the store buying beer and cigarettes. This carrier was a trusting soul that was disappointed that day.

While delivering to 480 mail boxes, driving 100 miles a day for 23 years, Ricer has only had three complaints. Two said he stole their checks and one said he broke the neck of his guitar, a guitar which was not ever delivered by the U.S. Postal System and definitely not by Ricer. The daughter of this last man, years later, told Dave that her father hated him for breaking his guitar. He asked her if she hated him and she said “of course not.”

One of the checks he was accused of stealing belonged to the late Junior Haren. When Dave pulled up to the Haren mailbox, Junior was sitting there and angrily accused Dave of stealing his check. At that time, Junior’s daughter came down and told her father that she had told him she had the check and it was in the house. Junior pointed out his bedroom and asked the mail carrier to bring it to him the next month. Dave did and Junior told him he was the happiest man in the world. Three days later Junior died.

Hundreds of miles Ricer drove over the years without an accident until in April he was traveling a one lane gravel road. He could see the driver coming but could not get off the road far enough without being hit. The new truck, which was used two weeks, was a total loss. Thank the Good Lord, Ricer was not injured.

This rural carrier is quick to say how much he appreciates the county and state workers. “They pulled me out many times,” he said. “Without them I couldn’t do the job in the dead of winter.” He also noted that on the township roads, where the manpower was not sufficient to get to all the roads swiftly, he has made paths with his truck for some of his older customers to follow him out.

Another time Ricer was delivering mail when he saw a man near Laings. He was driving mowing with his tractor when it started slipping on the hill. Ricer jumped out of the mail truck, ran up the hill and hit the tractor full force, keeping it from rolling over the hill. The man told him later he thought it was the Lord who saved him until he looked back and saw Ricer running back toward the mail truck.

And speaking of his older customers, Ricer missed his people when they passed away. He will never forget one summer in 1995 on one road of his route he lost seven elderly people. Each bothered him; they were his family. Death was not the only losses he saw while doing his job, he saw people lose their homes, their cars, their trailers, their boats. “The last couple of years have been the worst,” he said.

“It’s been a great job,” said this retiree, “but I do not miss the bureaucracy.”

Ricer appreciates the many who came to wish him well, but there was much disappointment in the day. “I haven’t felt that way since my return from Vietnam,” said Ricer. No one from his route came to wish him a happy retirement. Zero. He holds his fingers demonstrating an ‘0.’ “Zero,” he said again, adding, “I’ve come to the conclusion that I have not been near as good a mailman and I thought I was. I thought if I could say good-bye to these people and the children, I would have closure, but not one person from the route came.” 

The children on his route are not the only ones who have fond memories of Ricer. He volunteered as a boy’s baseball coach for seven, eight and nine-year-olds for ten years. He had a 98-6 win record with his teams, a record he is very proud of. Four of those losses, he noted, were to the same pitcher, Mitch Hannahs, who was a star pitcher for Skyvue that led the Golden Hawks to a state tournament.

Ricer noted that he is proud of three things in his life: coaching, his martial arts and his service to his country in Vietnam.

“This health issue has taken its toll on my family,” said this retiree, who wants to spend more time with his wife Patricia and their nine grandchildren, ranging from six to 23. He enjoys fishing, hunting and looking for booby traps (a throw-back from his Vietnam days) with them.

“I have a lot of priceless memories,” said this veteran, coach, coal miner, construction worker, retiree. “I’m not ready to give up.”



Our Readers Write


Dear Editor,

Residents of the Clarington/ Hedgedale area beware. There is a cruel and sadistic killer in the area. No, this is not a warning for the Halloween season’s ghosts and goblins, but for the life of your pets.

On Oct. 28 between 10  - 11 p.m. someone killed our Chihuahua in our own yard.

Rocky, our pet companion, was a very fun-loving dog. He loved people, especially children, and was very entertaining to watch running and playing with the kids or just by himself. He was very protective of his territory and would chase stray or wild animals from his yard without harming them.

A message to the cruel killer: “We believe that as the saying goes - ‘What goes around comes around’ - your punishment will come in time. We just hope you can look yourself in the mirror every day knowing what damage you have done.

Again, residents if you love your pets as we do be aware of who and what is lurking in the neighborhood.


Bill and Carol Lollathin



Dear Editor,

On Nov. 1, the groundbreaking of the new Woodsfield Elementary School and Monroe Central High School, was held at 10 a.m. at the building site. It was a great day to have it.

Larry Elliott did the welcoming. Kathryn Anderson W.E.S. principal, did the invocation. Everyone that attended did the Pledge of Allegiance. The Monroe Central band played the “Star Spangled Banner”. A retired soldier from the Woodsfield VFW Post 3303 gave Larry Elliott a new American flag. Then Jerry Calder, principal of Monroe Central High School, Jason Yoss, Scott Dierkes, Richard Murray, Jennifer Garrison, Gary Balog and Coach Circosta, all said a few words. The most touching speech was Coach Circosta’s. He talked to us about this football team from a small school that had never made it into the state playoffs. But finally they made it. When the team got to the field a semi pulled in behind them and on each side it said “It’s Not A Dream Anymore”. Coach said that it’s not a dream anymore that we get the new schools we deserve.

It was time for the Monroe Central cheerleaders to come out. But since Coach was so caught up in the moment he decided he was going to start the cheering off with a crowd cheer.  He started with give me a R, give me a E, give me a D, give me a S, give me a K, give me a I, give me a N, give me a S. What’s that spell? REDSKINS! Then he did give me a N, give me a O, give me a L, give me a E, give me a S. What’s that spell? NOLES! After we finished that cheer the Monroe Central cheerleaders came out. They did the fight song while the band played the music for it. They also did a couple crowd cheers.

After that it was time for the actual groundbreaking. There were 15 shovels but only 13 of them were used. All 13 people grabbed their own shovel and lifted some soil up pictures were taken. Also all of the people that held a shovel was from the Board of Education.

The Monroe Central student council did the same as the first 13 people. right then and there was a start of a new and brighter future! I would also like to thank everyone that voted for the new school levy. And for all the people that are dedicating their time and effort to build the schools.

Sincerely, a W.E.S. 6th grade student, Kari Jones


Dear Editor,

On Nov. 1, my school got to go see the groundbreaking for our new elementary and high school buildings. first, we listened to the marching band play the National Anthem aka the Star Spangled Banner. then, everyone who attended the groundbreaking said the pledge of allegiance. Once we finished saying the pledge, the principal of Woodsfield Elementary School, Mrs. Anderson said a prayer. A few adults that attended the meeting had something to say. The speech that touched me the most was Jay Circosta’s. He talked about a football team that never could win enough games to be able to make it to the play-offs. Then one year that team made it to the state championship. Whenever the team got to the championship game there was a semi with a sign on it. The sign said “It’s not a dream anymore.” That’s when Circosta started to tear up.

Then he said that us getting a new school is like the football team getting to the championship. It’s not a dream for us to get new schools, it’s reality. He told us that he was told a while ago that we would have new schools in two years and he has waited for 40 years for that to be true.

The cheerleaders were going to cheer next and dance to the songs that the marching band played but he wanted to say the first chant since he was so happy that we are finally getting new school buildings built. The first chant spelled Redskins and the second chant spelled Noles. Next, the cheerleaders got to dance and cheer while the band played some songs. Once the cheerleaders finished cheering, a man gave us the flag and asked Larry Elliott if he would take care of it. After the flag had been given to us, the people who said a speech, including Mrs. Anderson, who said the prayer, grabbed a shovel. Each person dug a little bit of dirt and started the groundbreaking. 

Then people started clapping, cheering and some people even started whistling since we finally get new schools.

Before I got back on the bus, Janet Schwall took a picture of me with Kari Jones, Samantha Knuchel and Brooklyne Piatt. We even got to hold a shovel in the picture. 

Finally, we got on our buses to get back to school, which was really hot and loud and crowded.

I’m excited to finally get our new schools started. I want to thank everyone that voted yes for us to get our new schools and also the people who are taking up their time to build our new schools. 

W.E.S. 6th grade student

Lakin Carothers


Dear Editor,

Nov. 1 was an amazing experience. We went to the groundbreaking for our new schools. I love how people supported this. It shows how much they care about us and our future.

Skyvue was with us, along with many parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents. 

The speech that touched me the most was Circosta’s. As he told the story, he teared up as he talked about a football team who had never made it to the playoffs before. When they finally made it, there was a semi that said, “It’s not a dream anymore, it’s reality.” What he was talking about was that if you have a dream, you can’t give up. You have to keep trying.

If you fail, you fail. You can’t stay down. You have to get up, dust yourself off and try again. We never gave up and now we are getting new schools. 

After all the speeches were done, we got back on the bus and went back to our school.

Later they served punch and cookies to everyone. So, I would just like to give a big thanks to everyone who voted yes for the new schools. We couldn't have done it without you.

W.E.S. 6th grade student,

Madelyn P. Craig


Dear Editor,

On Nov. 1, 2010, Monroe Central High School and Woodsfield Elementary School went to the groundbreaking for our new schools. Many people spoke but the one that I thought was the best is when Coach Circosta talked about a football team that had never made it to the finals. A semi showed up for their team and displayed on it was “it’s not a dream anymore” and this isn’t a dream for us now because we are getting the new schools. I also saw a man hand Mr. Elliott a flag and told him to take care of it. It was a very cold day but I couldn’t think of a better place to be on a cold morning than at our new school’s groundbreaking ceremony.

WES 6th Grader

Trey Duffy


Dear Editor,

On Nov. first, 2010 the groundbreaking event was held. I still can’t believe that we might have a new school in 2012. That seems like a long wait but I think that the time will pass by quickly. Everyone who made this happen I want to give a personal thank you. There were so many people there. The site is humungous.

It was very cold but I and very many students, teachers and construction workers thought it was worth it. The band played the “National Anthem” and the veterans gave the American flag to put on display at the new school.

Mrs. Kassie Anderson said a prayer. After that everyone that was supposed to speak spoke but Mr. Jay Circosta was the one who really made everyone realize this is no longer a dream; this is reality. When he said it, he teared up. By then it was time for the cheerleaders to come out but he was so caught up in the moment he started a cheer, R-E-D-S-K-I-N-S for the elementary school and N-O-L-E-S for the high school. Then the band played the fight song and the war chant. After that the cleerleaders did a cheer or two but the last cheer they got the crowd involved by doing Senior Rah with K-12 grades.

Finally, we all got back on the busses. We got punch and cookies when we got back from the groundbreaking.


Rebecca Rutter


Dear Editor,

On Nov. 1, 2010, the groundbreaking for the new Monroe Central High School and Woodsfield Elementary took place at their new location. There were over 800 students and staff members there.

I was surprised to see how big the location is. When the ceremony began, our superintendent Larry Elliott introduced the speakers. There were several speeches but the one I remember the most was Jay Circosta’s speech. He talked about a small town football team that never made it to the playoffs. One year they made it and at the championship game a semi truck pulled into the parking lot and on one side it said, “It’s not a dream anymore.” He said that it reminded him of the new schools we will have in 2012. It brought tears to his eyes.

After all of the songs, cheers and speeches were over, they started the groundbreaking. The school board members, the principals, contractors and Jennifer Garrison dug the first dirt of the project with golden shovels. The Veterans of Foreign Wars also gave Larry Elliott an American Flag to hang at the new schools when they are finished. When it was over, we went back to school.

WES 6th Grade Student
Samantha Kunchel

Note: Annette Mobley assigned Letters to the Editor regarding the groundbreaking and asked if the Beacon would print them. More to come.





■  11-11 Classifieds


Albert “Butch” Heil, Jr.
Albert “Butch” Heil, Jr., 92, 47629 SR 26, Beallsville, died Nov. 2, 2010 at his home. He was born Dec. 26, 1917 at Bellaire, a son of the late Albert Sr. and Lena Carman Heil.

He was a former iron worker and family meat cutter. He was also a retired mail carrier in Bellaire. He was a member of the St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, Woodsfield, a U.S. Army veteran of WWII, past master of the Bellaire Lodge #438 F. & A.M. Bellaire and a 65 year member of Monroe Lodge #189 Woodsfield, where he served as a past chaplain and educational officer.

Surviving are a daughter, Barbara Meek of Beallsville; two daughters-in-law, Joyce Kipp Heil of VanWert, Sue Jones Heil of Wooster; a sister, Virginia (Richard) Buttitta of Shula Vista, Calif.; seven grandchildren, Kim (Dan) Palmer of Woodsfield, James (Mardell) Meek of Galloway, Patrick Heil of VanWert, Chad (Lyssa) Heil of Jelloway, Jerome (Elizabeth) Heil of Lancaster, Lena (Chris) Farris of Hurricane, Vermont, Ryan Heil of Columbus; five great-grandchildren, Kaleigh and Allison Meek of Galloway, Brandi Palmer of Woodsfield, Tori Myers and Race Heil of Jelloway; and a great-great-grandson, Phoenix James Roger Thomas.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Eileen Elizabeth McLoud Heil on Sept. 5, 2001; two sons, Michael Lee Heil, Philip Albert Heil; and four brothers, Henry, Carman, Lewis and Harry Heil.

Friends were received Nov. 5 at Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral and military services were held Nov. 6, with Rev. Frank Lehosky officiating. Burial followed in Oaklawn Cemetery, Woodsfield.

Masonic services were held at the funeral home.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Monroe Lodge #189, Lewisville Rd., Woodsfield, OH 43793.

Garnet Sivard
Garnet Sivard, 87, 36409 Cline Lane, Graysville, went home to be with her heavenly Father on Nov. 3, at Woodsfield Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Woods-field. She was born Oct. 14, 1923 near Rinard Mills, a daughter of the late Mervin and Hattie Holland Gardner.

She was a homemaker and a member of the Graysville United Methodist Church, where she was a member of the Ladies Aide Society. She was also a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Graysville Volunteer Fire Department and a member of the Extension Homemakers Club.

Surviving are her husband, Harry Sivard, whom she married June 7, 1947; two daughters, Glenda Weldon of Hot Springs, Ark., Marsha (Jeff) Wilson of Woodsfield; a son, Roger (Lois) Sivard of Graysville; three sisters, Wanda Pfouts of Lowell, Pauline Brown of Lowell, Norma Jean Rinard of Largo, Fla.; a brother, Junior Gardner of Graysville; six grandchildren, William (Karin) Haught, Jr., Sarah Haught, Seth (Heather) Sivard, Jacob Sivard, Autumn (Derrick) Parden, Jordan (Sheri) Jones; 10 great-grandchildren; four great-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by five brothers, Wick, Willard, Hillard, Glenn, and Gail Gardner; and two sisters, Opal Moore and Beryl Messen-heimer.

Friends were received Nov. 7 at Watters Funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral services were held Nov. 8, with Rev. Gary Fitzgerald officiating. Burial followed in Oaklawn Cemetery, Woods-field.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Graysville United Methodist Church, c/o Tina Loch, 38894 SR 26, Graysville,

Kathleen Long Grubb 
Kathleen Long Grubb, 83, was granted her desire to see Jesus face to face Nov.2, 2010, following a most graceful and courageous struggle with Mantle Cell Lymphoma - cancer won the battle, but she won the war! Born Nov. 28, 1926, she was known to hundreds of people throughout the world as a humble servant of the Lord. A faithful member of First Baptist Church, Friendsville, Tenn., in recent years, she was formerly best known as a pastor's wife in her roles as First Lady of Unity Baptist Church, Maryville, Tenn.; Berkeley Avenue (formerly Broadway) Baptist Church, Turlock, Calif.; and Madison Avenue Baptist Church, Maryville. Whether in Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, Women's Missionary Union, or other church-related ministry, she did all to the glory of God, without murmur or complaint. Her missionary service extended to the children of Brazil, whom she dearly loved. 

Her passion of late was her FBC Friendsville Quilting Group that meet each Tuesday to create beautiful quilts for those in need. She also personally created quilts for her family. Her leisure was never idle, but filled with hosting and enjoying family and friends. Additional time was filled with poetry, puzzles, western movies and games. She was a student of the Holy Bible and a prayer warrior. 

She is survived by her husband of 63 years, Rev. Glenn Grubb; brothers, O. Joe (Ruth) Long  and John H. Long, Jr.; sister, Dorothy Siler; sister-in-law, Rowena Long; daughter and loyal caregiver, Faye Grubb; sons, Al, Walter (Diane), Mark (Alisa) and Stan; eight grandchildren, Chris (Annette) Grubb, Bethany (Chad) Riddle, Nathan (Catherine) Grubb, Michael (Amanda) Grubb, Amanda Morrow, Megan (Eric) Baumann, Ryan (Jessi) Grubb and Benjamin Grubb. She leaves six great-grandchildren. 

She is preceded in death by her parents, John Hartsell Long, Sr., and Lorena Clemens Long (relative of Samuel Clemens [Mark Twain] from whom is inherited a remarkable sense of humor and keen wit); brothers, Dallas Long, Marvin Long and Paul W. Long; sister and brother-in-law, Elnora and Henderson McClanahan; brother-in-law, John Howard Siler; sister-in-law, Mary Ruth Long; daughter-in-law, Darlene Lopasser Grubb. 

A celebration of life was held in the Smith Trinity Chapel with Dr. Glenn Cummings and Dr. Mark Grubb officiating. In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial donations to be made to: Brazil Missions Fund at First Baptist Church, Friendsville, 403 North Farnum Street, Friendsville, TN 37737

Interment was in Grandview Cemetery. Arrangements were made by Smith Funeral and Cremation Service, Maryville.

Ruth S. Handschumacher 
Ruth S. Handschumacher, 84, Caldwell, passed away Nov. 3, at Summit Acres Nursing and Rehab in Caldwell. She was born Feb. 1, 1926 in Noble County, a daughter of the late Jesse R. and Mildred E. Nau Merry.

She was a member of St. Mary’s of the Immaculate Conception Church in Fulda. She enjoyed spending time doing craft work and visiting with company.

She will be missed by her family of four sisters, Dorothy M. (Omer) Schott of Beach City, Cynthia (Myron) Law of Senecaville, Marilyn Merry of Caldwell, Barbara (Carlos) Tucker of Sarahsville; three brothers, Richard F. (Mary Louise) Merry of Beach City, Dale E. (Mary) Merry of Navarre, William A. (Janet) Merry of Thurman; sister-in-law, Betty Jane Merry of Bidwell; and many nieces, nephews, friends and loving caregivers.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Carl B. Handschumacher, whom she married Jan. 19, 1957 and who passed away Nov. 12, 1986; and two brothers, James R. and Jesse J. Merry.

Friends were received Nov. 5 at Chandler Funeral Home, Caldwell, with a vigil service. A Mass of Christian Burial was held Nov. 6 at St. Mary’s of the Immaculate Conception Church in Fulda, with Rev. Father Wayne Morris serving as celebrant. Burial followed in the Olive Cemetery in Caldwell.

To send a sympathy card or leave words of comfort for the family, please visit the funeral home’s web site at: www.ChandlerFuneralHome.net

Amy M. Hupp 
Amy M. Hupp, 80, Woodsfield, did Nov. 6, 2010 at her home surrounded by her loving family. She was born Dec. 24, 1929 in Woodsfield, a daughter of the late Richard H. and Adda L. Christman Masters.

She was a 1947 graduate of Woodsfield High School. She retired as the secretary for the Mayor, Village of Woodsfield, after 23 years of service and attended the Christian Church of Woodsfield.

Surviving are her loving husband of 61 years, Don L. Hupp, whom she married May 7, 1949, of the home; a son, Richard (Jaque) Hupp of Woodsfield; a daughter, Donna (Allan) Moore of Massillon; a son-in-law, Ty J. (Erin) Dierkes of Zanesville; Amy leaves a lasting legacy to cherish her memory; her seven grandchildren, Andy, Arika (Dave), Jodi, Jesse, Cody, Natasha and J.D.; and two great-grandchildren, Brady and Luke.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her daughter, Patricia Ellen Dierkes, who died Sept. 16, 2007.

Amy’s proudest achievement in life was to be called “Grandma”. She loved and adored her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and was such an active part of each of their lives. She will be deeply missed.

Friends were received Nov. 9 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral services will be held Nov. 10 at 11 a.m., with Pastor Rodney West and Scott Chambers officiating. Burial will take place at Oaklawn Cemetery, Woodsfield.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to American Cancer Society.

Condolences may be sent to www.bauerturner.com

Bolin-Dierkes Funeral Home, Zanesville, entrusted with all arrangements.

Dean W. Jeffers 
Dean W. Jeffers, 94, died Oct. 27, 2010 at Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus. He was born Sept. 7, 1916 in Monroe County, a son of the late John E. and Jessie B. Jeffers. 

He began his education in a rural school in Laings. After undergraduate and graduate studies at Ohio University, he earned several honorary degrees from Ohio Domnican, Springfield College and Ohio University. He was a teacher and principal in Southeast Ohio rural schools for five years. He then became a surviving Marine of the Iwo Jima campaign of WWII, earning a Purple Heart. 

After his service, he began working as a claims adjuster for Nationwide Insurance, eventually being elected president, general chairman and CEO with 41 years of service. He was affiliated with many boards throughout his business career and he was proud of his many memberships, including the OSU President’s Club, Quiet Birdmen, Alexis de Tocqueville Society (United Way) and the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc.

He appreciated the many awards and recognitions he received throughout Columbus and around the world. 

Surviving are a son Phillip Dean (Kelsey) Jeffers, M.D.; sister, Nina Yoss of Woodsfield; a niece and two nephews; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Ruthe E. Workman Jeffers; three sisters; grandson, Chad Jeffers; and two nieces.

Friends were received Oct. 31 at Schoedinger Northwest Chapel, Columbus. A memorial service was held Nov. 1 at Trinity United Methodist Church, Columbus.

Memorial contributions may be made in Dean’s name to The OhioHealth Foundation in honor of Sharon Neenan and all oncology and med-surge nurses at Riverside Methodist Hospital, 180 E. Broad St., Columbus, OH 43215; or to The Wilds (memo: Dean Jeffers), 14000 International Rd., Cumberland, OH 43732.

Condolences may be sent to www.schoedinger.com

Bonnie Anderson  
Bonnie Anderson was born Sept. 15, 1927 in Pender, Nebraska and departed this life on Oct. 17, 2010 at Grants Pass, Ore. at the age of 83. Except for the last 10 months and a few brief periods spent in Ohio, she and her husband lived the greater part of their married life in Calif.

She was baptized into Christ on Nov. 21, 1948 at Parkersburg, W.Va., being a member of the Lord’s body for over 62 years. At the time of her death, she was a member of the church at Grants Pass, Ore.

She was united in marriage to Lorrin (Andy) Anderson on Sept. 7, 1946. They met during WWII. They were blessed with 64 wonderful years of married life. To this union were born four children, Kenneth, who lives in Tokyo, Japan, Karen of Grants Pass, Lorelei, a resident of Rapid City, S.D., and Ronald Dean of San Clemente, Calif.

Surviving are her husband, and children, six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a brother, William E. Meier and his wife Sharon, her father, William G. Meier, her mother, Nellie Moore Meier and her step-mother, Mable Baldwin Meier.

Private services were held at the Hull & Hull Mortuary, 612 NW A St., Grants Pass, Ore. on Oct. 21. Burial followed at the Gotcher Cemetery, Williams, Ore.

“And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord from henceforce; Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them.” Rev. 14:13.

Denzil Richard Brown 
Denzil Richard Brown, 71, Antioch, left this world on Nov. 3, 2010 at the Marietta Memorial Hospital. He was born and raised near Mechanicsburg, Oct. 10, 1939, a son of the late Clarence and Ina Randall Brown.

He was preceded in death by two brothers, Robert Harding of Wooster, Ed Brown of near Antioch, and a grandson, Rusty Carpenter of Temperanceville.

Denzil is survived by his wife of 35 1/2 years, Beverly Smith Brown of Antioch; a sister, Zelda Cline of Antioch; two daughters, Regina (Charlie) Star of Temperance-ville, Cindy (Donnie) Beckett of Antrim; two sons, Danny (Amy) Brown of Cambridge, Rick Brown of Antioch; and two step-children, Kimberly (Bruce) Binegar of Antioch and Mark (Jane) Henthorn; 16 grandchildren, Heather, Rachel, Ashley, Dustin, Sa-brina, Aaron, Keith, Brittany, Ali, Nathan, Ruben, Asher, Janet, Kevin, Brandi and Sammy; 18 great-grandchildren and two on the way; three nephews, Roger Cline, Mike (Amy) Brown, Jeff (Kathy) Brown and four great-nieces and nephews; also a special extended family, Dale (Pauline) Williams, Bud (Cindy) Weddle and George (Betty Bassett) and many, many friends.

He was a former grader operator for the Monroe County Engineers Department where he worked for 30 years. He retired in May of 1998, upon which he became the grader operator for Perry Township until his untimely death. He was a long time member of the former Circle M Riding Club. He was a Christian by faith and attended the Moffett-Fletcher Methodist Church.

Friends were received Nov. 5 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield, where funeral services were held Nov. 6. Burial in Antioch Cemetery.

Condolences may be expressed at:

Lila Lee Walters Williamson 
Lila Lee Walters Williamson, 73, Hannibal, died Nov. 2, 2010 at her home.

A memorial service will be held at the convenience of the family. Arrangements by to Jarvis-Williams Funeral Homes, New Martinsville. 

Dorothy M. Wilson, 56, Bondi Rdg. Rd., Woodsfield died Nov. 6, 2010. Services Nov. 9 at Bauer-Turner Funeral Home, Woodsfield.